1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing/editing questions: seeking opinions, philosophies, etc.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 4, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I disagree with that. I read Simmons a lot when he was independent, and I LOVED his shit. Now it's too much, but at the time, I read it all the freaking time. Never did a Karate Kid reference make it into my copy.

Reading everything helps you decide what works for you and what doesn't. Maybe someone reads Simmons, sees how over the top it is, and then tries for a more conversational feel to his stuff, just not to that extent.

You can learn from everything you read.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'd like to be able to say that, but the truth is that I'll read any kind of crap in a newspaper or magazine if the subject interests me, and if I have no interest in the topic it won't make a difference no matter how well it's written. Books, though, have to grab me quick or I bail.

3. That's about the best environment you can have.
    At the (small) papers I have worked at, our writers' stuff - good, bad or just plain shit - is thrown into the paper. When I sdit desk, I will rewrite stories and ledes and explain to the writer's why.
    That said: I hate - absolutely HATE - to have my stuff edited.
    I'm arrogant (or ignorant) enough to believe I'm the best writer in my little pond, but I am and lucky enough to have an editor who will actually edit my stuff and explain to me why he did what he did. He makes a lot of my stories tighter and more to the point.
    Given the fact he's been in the biz for 25-plus years, I'm inclined to listen.
    He'll even let me explain why I did wrote something the way I did. Then he'll correct me. ... again.

I have done the HB things a million times already ... Write a cute little lede on a gamer - pausing to take time to pat myself on the back. Later, I'll go back and reread it when I'm looking for stuff to submit to the press association awards and I want to gag, then crawl under my desk.

Saw a bumper sticker today: The truly educated never graduate
    how true. ... Hell, I've learned a ton of stuff about writing here. I don't think I'm ready for Golf Digest (dream job) but I'm working on it.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think the single easiest thing in writing is observing the surroundings. I believe you can get things by observing that become your story's angle.

Draft saved Draft deleted