1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing an uncomfortable story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I guess it's a sports feature/tribute to the kid. It's more about the kid than the team, but it's also about how the team is moving on and how they are paying tribute to him.

I'm waiting on a call back from one of his teammates. I shouldn't have to use too many quotes, but would really like a nice quote or two from one of his fellow wrestlers.

2. jps

jps Active Member

jay, check your pms. shot you a few.

3. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

The story ran. Thanks to all for your constructive help. F_T, you got me in the right direction. KYSportswriter, you cleaned up the story. jps, you gave me better ideas as to how to approach the story. Barsuk, while your advice came after the story was in, if I ever have a story like this again, I'll have a much better handle on it.

Thanks again for all of the PMs. You guys are good people. The story for those who PMed me is available online and slightly different than my original copy. I'll send it out.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Jay, what does your editor say when you go to him? I'm assuming he's not much help.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What they all say -- "I'm busy. Ask someone on SportsJournalists.com, dammit!"

6. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

LOL, no, my editor said a one-source story (the coach) was OK because it was more about getting it into the paper today and we couldn't afford to get beaten by one of the rival papers. I ended up talking to one of the teammates, though. He gave me a few pointers and said he liked the story, but I was putting a lot of pressure on myself here because I wanted to do the kid justice and not write a quick, sloppy story (not that my stories are overly quick and/or sloppy).

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The editor said you couldn't get beat on a feature? I guess in his mind serving his readership isn't an issue. If my guess is right, I know who the editor is and his response isn't shocking.

8. Why didn't you get a second and third source any way? The editor is a douche, and it sounds like you know he is. Just dumb on the editor's part.

9. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Uh, let's not bring my boss into this. It was a very timely piece, and he would rather have gotten it into the paper a day earlier without a teammate's voice than a day later with it in. It didn't matter either way. I spoke to a kid and it got in when he wanted it. I got the second source for the story.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't want to pick on your SE in particular, but I'm seeing a trend of people asking questions on the board when a good SE should be providing the advice.

Or am I out of line for suggesting that?

11. jps

jps Active Member

stitch, depends on the paper and the se.

I've been at several stops where the se was so busy with meetings and phone calls and/or design, etc., there simply was no time for a sit-down conversation about one particular story. it isn't the way it should be -- we should be able to help our writers improve and, if they want, advance in this business to the place they want to be. it's what I feel I am able to do now and one of the many reasons I'm immensely happy at my current shop. but I've been an se and a writer at other papers where this simply didn't -- and, really, under circumstances, couldn't -- happen.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I noticed the first thread again. It's died, not passed away.

Draft saved Draft deleted