1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing about officials

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CYowSMR, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Who has read a story on a major professional or college game and have seen the officials quoted? The ref and touch judges at a South Africa rugby match once gave a press conference, but I haven't read any other example where an official was quoted. If they don't do it in the pros, why do it a the high school level. It just makes you look like a jackass if you mention poor officiating.

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Do a Google search of "pool reporter" and "umpire" (or "referee"). It happens quite often.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I've mentioned before, I call seven sports at the high school level.

Personally, I wouldn't mind answering questions about key calls during a game. But I understand why we don't attend press conferences, too.

For one thing, while we get paid to call, we are not truly professionals. Secondly, I forget calls almost immediately and move on. Until I have a time to reflect on the entire game, asking me about specific calls would be useless.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

if they commit the same fouls or throw the same pitches, i do

Draft saved Draft deleted