1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing about officials

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CYowSMR, Nov 24, 2010.

1. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Some clarification:

This was not a game in my area. I had to travel for this one.
    Second, I did put the part about officials aren't able to comment due to league regulations.
    Third, it really wasn't something that needed clarification, I understood what happened...

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Officials are often told not to talk to the media. As an official and a reporter/editor as well, I disagree with that concept. If a media member wants to know what happened on a play in regard to the rules, I think it should be explained. It would eliminate the shitstorm of misinformation that is out there. There are people that think the rules on Sunday (NFL) apply to high school and college football.

Now, when it comes to judgments, ejections or injuries, probably not going to get a comment.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

there is a huge difference between getting an explanation on a rule and an on-the-record comment.
    Most of the time an official will explain a rule or clarify something, but as far as going on the record, there usually are repercussions from the officials organization or the state sanctioning body.
    grabbing officials at the end of a prep game can be tricky given they usually are trying to get the hell out of there.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I got an A in media law, thank you very much.
    Not asking the officials because you know they're not supposed to talk is lazy journalism. You have to give them the chance to tell you they can't talk and if it's really that important, pepper them with questions.

6. PBOWKER

PBOWKER Member

I am an official (soccer) and longtime journalist, also.

In football, yes, as a journalist you seek out the crew chief and solicit comment, or at least a clarification of what they ruled and why. In a situation like this, the crew chief (and probably a school administrator because that is their job) will be getting all the referees out of there as quickly as possible. Especially if there are issues with the crowd.

In most cases, you'll get a no comment. But you should still ask.

I referee in three states, and all prohibit comment to the media. It's a sticky thing because if you do comment, you're putting yourself in a situation of not being assigned any more games by the regional assignor, license suspension, etc. It IS very different than a coach.

From a journalist standpoint, you've got to get the story. Don't forget about talking to both coaches, of course, plus that supervising school administrator. The administrator is responsible for the officials' security. From an official's standpoint, if there was a fight and there were ejections, the head referee must file a detailed report to the state within 24 hours. Most officials won't talk to a reporter before they've had a chance to file that report. Now there are some jerks out there who will blow you off no matter what. But you can nail them by simply reporting what you observed; that's why you're there. And if it's serious enough, the state association may ask you for your observations for their report, which is something every journalist should avoid, of course...

7. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

#1: You said if I'm an official, I should have an "in" with them. I do not know every official in the state.
    #2: My question was would you mention the officials at all?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Which has what to do with the first amendment?

9. writingump

writingump Member

I'm also an official (volleyball, softball). I had a situation back in May while I was umpiring a district tournament where I had to eject a P.A. announcer for making disparaging remarks about a call I made and then changed after seeing circumstancial evidence which told me the original call was incorrect.
    Anyway, a writing colleague of mine was covering the game and if he had asked me about it, I would have given him comment. I feel as long as we're getting paid for this (and for working a game which lasted about 90 minutes, I earned $60), we are therefore subject to whatever praise or criticism we get in the media, as long as it's fair and not malicious.
    I think it would have been fair to ask the officials what they saw, if you felt it was relevant enough to mention in the story, if for no other reason than to provide background.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think -- if you can get to them -- it's always fair to ask officials what they ruled and why.

I have had games that were greatly affected by calls near the end when it wasn't clear what penalty was called and I certainly would want to know if it was holding, offsides, a personal foul, whatever.

But when things get heated, they are quick to get the heck out of there.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why stop with ejections? Ask the officials about every bad call in every game.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

And that's part of the problem why officials don't talk to the media. You have substituted your judgment for the official's judgment. Yes, officials make mistakes. But maybe they saw something you didn't. Maybe you are wrong and they were right. Maybe the rules are different from what you think. Have you read a high school rules book or attended a single class or clinic on the rules and how the powers that be want it called? Saying, "I'm sorry, but I can't talk to the media." is a helluva lot better than reading "Official X defended his bad call, etc."

Draft saved Draft deleted