1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing a girl's name in the newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by #52 Psycho T, Dec 3, 2008.

1. #52 Psycho T

#52 Psycho T Member

There is a girl at a local school that we cover that has a nickname, "Monster". When people see her nickname in the story, they know who the girl is.

I recently asked the girl why they called her this and she explained. I asked what name she wanted me to use and she said her real name, "Lindsey".

At my former place of employment, I tried to use her real name "Lindsey", like she requested but the editor just changed it. I'm at a new place and will be covering her team Friday night but I'm kind've the low man on the totem, having just worked at this new place for just under two months.

My question is, would you use her real name- like she requested or her nickname?

The names in quotations aren't her nickname and real name, but rather made up ones to conceal her identity.

2. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Definitely use her real name. Not only is it her <i>real name</i>, but it's also the name she prefers to go by.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I would never use nicknames in a story. Especially at the high school level.

On a side note, why is her nickname Monster?

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Real name, possibly with "Monster" in quotes between the first and last names.

5. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Unless you're writing for a fan site, don't use nicknames.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I'd never use a nickname for a high school kid, except maybe in a quote from a teammate.

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Right on the money. If that's her preference it isn't even a question ... and anyone who changes it needs to be called on it.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I'd only use a nickname if it was something normal - "'Junior" for example.
    Monster ... I want to hear this one.

9. Donegan17

Donegan17 New Member

Unless she specifically asks to be referred to by a nickname only (a shortened version of their first name or initials or something) I wouldn't ever just go ahead and print it. I go by a nickname in my byline (initials) but my rule is the same thing I say to my editors: It's what my mom has called me my whole life. If it's good enough for her, it's good enough for print. Although Schnookums would probably be the exception there.

10. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I just ran into that very recently. If you have to use it in that case, it would be Lindsey "Monster" Jones, as f_t points out.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If she goes by her given name, then use her given name. Period.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

And we wonder why we are losing readers the past 30 years. Were nicknames an issue 40 years ago?

Draft saved Draft deleted