1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writers' Workshop (2008 and Beyond, now with Updated Updates)

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by jgmacg, Mar 27, 2006.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Re: Writers' Workshop

Sirs, Madames,

I think a Spiked thread with stories that were killed might be fun. I've had a couple of the yrs. (If I could find it I had one about Wayne Gretzky having lousy taste in friends that my editor considered inflammatory in the Gretzkymania around 99's retirement.)

YHS, etc

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Royale -

I reposted your story on its own thread.

3. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Since only two to four people actually respond with feedback to stories posted on this part of the board, I'd like to try to stay anonymous to most of SportsJournalists.com by sending two stories out by PM to whoever would be willing to help me out - one, an auto racing feature I wrote three years ago when I was 16 and now look back on and laugh, and two, a January 2006 profile on a Division I basketball player from my hometown.

If anyone would take a few minutes to help me out, please shoot me a PM.

Thanks.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Re: Writers' Workshop (Summer Update)

Things have slowed here a little bit this summer; at least in part, I suspect, because the posters who want and need the workshop most are away from school. I trust things will busy up again in the fall. That's when the new reading lists and some new craft tutorials will go up as well.

In the meantime, there are at least two of us reviewing all posted stories on a regular basis. I urge other older dogs to do likewise when the spirit moves them.

For summer session attendees, please remember to start a new thread for each story you post.

And, as always, thanks for posting.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I'll throw my hat in this ring...

Recently took my first desk job. I call it a "desk job" because the official title of "copy editor," the job I really wanted to do, doesn't cover a quarter of what I do. So after nearly 10 years as a reporter, I'm happy to offer some insights to the young writers in the house. My red pen and I will be around, nursing Guinness and arguing about commas...

6. friend of the friendless

Sirs, Madames,

I just poured through Follow the Story by James Stewart, which is a good starter (in my case remedial) course in feature writing. His writing about generating ideas for features (he was the features editor at the WSJ before going into long-form non-fiction at the NYer and elsewhere) is worth the price of admission.

Any young writer would do well to pick it up.

YHS, etc

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Re: Writers' Workshop (Fall term)

We welcome new posts and posters for the Fall term, and remind you all to start each new story on a new thread. As always, we encourage younger writers to make full use of the workshop. We're happy to read/edit/critique anything you post. PMs are available for those who don't feel like showing their work to the world just yet. And please don't feel that you have to post full stories, either. Feel free to weigh in with craft questions of any kind.

In the next couple of weeks, we'll be posting some new reading lists and announcing, I hope, some live, interactive craft discussions with guest writers. If you have a suggestion along those lines, please post it here. I'll be happy to try track down writers of any and every stripe.

In the meantime, thanks for posting.

8. DMS

DMS New Member

first time poster (and member), long time reader

this ongoing online workshop is a great idea.

best to send links to pieces we've done? or actual text?

thanks

DMS
    Chicago

9. friend of the friendless

Mr or Ms S,

I'd prefer text ... better for evolving critiques.

YHS, etc

10. DMS

DMS New Member

i tried to copy/paste, but this piece was too big (over 5500 characters). if there is any way to get around that, let me know. anyway, here is link. i know it's not ideal -- and is more work for folks to click and read -- so sorry about that. if you get a chance...

in a twist of irony, jay himself sent this on to the Reader (with the subject: READ, LEARN), a popular free weekly here in town. he sent it to Mike Miner, media writer, who mentioned it in his column

thanks. DMS

http://www.chicagosportsreview.com/redesign/inthemeantime/contentview.asp?c=180989

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

You can post it in multiple posts if you'd like. Break it up, you know?

12. DMS

DMS New Member

Write On, Jay

BY DMS

This is a column.

A column is based on an opinion. A column often uses cliches, like citing a literal definition to make a point. Example: dictionary.com defines a column as an article giving opinions or perspectives.

Columns sometimes ask readers to read between the lines, or interpret. From there readers are often asked to form a conclusion, which is often the jist of the column. Example: the writer goes out of his way to repeatedly use the word column and point out exactly what it is, which means he must feel the definition of the word has been in question lately, or misunderstood.

What you are reading is a column.

Got it? Well, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen didn't -- and doesn't.

A person who writes columns is a columnist. Good columns succinctly answer the readers' underlying questions, like what's the point? or what are you trying to say?

Example: what's the point of this column?

Chicago Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti is the most influential sports columnist in the city -- and in turn, the best.

Ozzie Guillen put Sox rookie reliever Sean Tracey in the game to drill a player whose team had hit A.J. Pierzynski twice. Tracey didn't do it, Guillen berated Tracey, and Tracey was (not so?) coincidentally sent down immediately after. Brevity can sometimes enhance a column (so can full disclosure, which mandates that it be noted that Guillen defends the tongue-lashing, which reportedly brought Tracey to tears, by saying the rookie was sent down not because of not hitting the Rangers' Hank Blalock, but because of a subsequent trade for Red Sox reliever David Riske).

Mariotti was critical of Guillen. Guillen called Mariotti a "piece of (deleted)" and a "(deleted) fag."

Draft saved Draft deleted