1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writers' Workshop (2008 and Beyond, now with Updated Updates)

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by jgmacg, Mar 27, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Re: Writers' Workshop

It gives him a starting point.

2. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

uxley11... I'm trying hard not to be too harsh... so how about this: Are you just starting out? Why don't you ask us some questions about writing then after some discussion and a 12-pack of Peroni we can attack this, um, column you wrote on Bonds.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

"Home run" is two words. Check your stylebook (which is one word) and ask a few more questions.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I just need some quick advice on a non-sports story, but because it involves a lot of numbers and I, personally, think sports writers are some of the best in the business, I will ask here. I am the crime/courts reporter at my paper who happens to cover the county government. I am working on a big story about a politically based attack on the sheriff's office's spending habits. It involves a lot of audits and numbers and could easily become a very confusing story if I don't get a control on it quickly. Right now, my rough draft is at 45 in. without an ending or quotes inserted. The entire ordeal has taken the last 18 months and has a lot of scandelous implications, but I don't know how to write it without either boring my readers, confusing them, or accusing people of things based on my opinions of the way this entire ordeal has taken place. If anyone has any suggestions... please, I am completely open to them. My paper doesn't have an ME right now and our city editor has been less than helpful aside from just telling me that we need to get it done. I'd really appreciate it!

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

What a shock -- the "just do it" approach.

Break the numbers out into a box. Write subheds to break up the material.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Yeah, and everytime I try to talk about it.. .well.. I dont' get much support. I am thinking about making the article shorter using a timeline. She is into alternative story forms so maybe if I give her an in-depth timeline and a number box, she will be appeased. I want people to read this article and I know if it continues to be as long as it is now, they probably won't unless I find SOMETHING to draw them into it. Hopefully, I can bring good quotes into the mix that make people want to find out what people will say next.

Thanks for the advice. I have subheads now, but they will change if I move toward the timeline approach.

7. jps

jps Active Member

Timeline idea is a good one - I think that would work well, and the visual element would be a nice change from the ordinary, I would think. Breakout boxes always work, too. You can use them in damn near any story it seems like, and they get a bit of the clutter out of the way, along with serving as almost a graphic element to draw the eye.
    They are in the reader's interest, too, honestly. Heard recently at a workshop that 85 percent of people don't read past the jump - so it behooves us to at least give them some vital information up front.

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I know most of our readers don't read past the jump. We have moved to many more, shorter stories because our readers aren't reading past the jump, but this story will have to jump. My ONLY saving grace is that our Web site is free and 99% of our subscribers read the main local news on the Web site before they read it at home. They will lose some of their timeline's on the site, but they'll get the whole story.

I appreciate the continued advice. This is a tough story and hopefully, it will all come out OK.

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Is it time to pronounce WW dead as doornails? I've tried to offer comments and suggestions on WW but precious few others do. It doesn't take a shitload of time, but obviously so many have so much else to do. Like post on the Charlie Brown thing or shit on soccer or whatever. I've always presumed this to be a me-first business. I was wrong. It's a me-only business.

YHS, etc

10. RoyaleWitCheese

RoyaleWitCheese New Member

Here's a story I recently did for the paper I freelance for. Any comments would be nice.

Cooke heading for the other ocean

Dominic Cooke won't let paralysis slow him down.

That mentality has led him to ride a special bicycle 3,000 miles across country to raise money and awareness for people with spinal cord injuries.

Cooke, 26, left St. Augustine on Wednesday in his black, arm-propelled cycle on a 45-day trip to San Diego. Joining him are two of his childhood friends, Tommy Vierra and Andy McIntosh. They plan to cover between 80 and 100 miles a day and will occasionally stop to hold fund-raisers.

"Just because you're in a wheelchair and you have a spinal cord injury, there's a lot of stuff you can do," Cooke said. "Life is still good."

But Cooke's life wasn't always this good.

In college at the University of California, Cooke played on a national championship rugby team.

"I was in the best shape of my life," Cooke said.

On Dec. 20, 2001, Cooke went out with his friends. He came back to a friend's house for a few hours, then decided to drive home. It had been raining heavily that night, but his parents lived in the same neighborhood, less than a mile away.

On the way, he spun on wet grass, whipping his sport utility vehicle around into a tree. The crash caused a spine separation, paralyzing him from the waist down.

"You don't really think it's happening to you," Cooke said. "It kind of just feels like a bad dream."

Going back to school and only being able to watch his team play was the hardest thing to deal with, he said. A year in France, living on a sunflower farm, helped him see his situation differently.

"Before I was looking at all the things I couldn't do," Cooke said. "Being away from all of the people who felt sorry for me and wanted to help me, I realized there is a lot I actually can do."

Cooke returned to San Diego and found a few foundations that help paralyzed people. They sent him skydiving, snow skiing and paragliding, and one organization bought him the hand cycle he is using on his cross-country trip.

In 2004, he decided to start his own nonprofit organization to help victims of spinal cord injuries, Try For Others. He now tries to lead by example.

"People look at disabled people and they see the wheelchair, and it's obvious the struggle." Cooke said. "But everyone has their handicap. Ours just happen to be in plain view."

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Some people are saying this part of the site is fizzling.

What would the writers here think about a contest for best article?

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Deepak -

That's an interesting thought. If you have some ideas along those lines, drop me a PM. In the meantime, I'd love to hear from our regular posters what they think.

Draft saved Draft deleted