1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writers Who Could Be GMs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HelicopterHarry, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Rudy Martzke was public relations director for the NBA Buffalo Braves from 1972-74 and director of operations for the new Spirits of St. Louis of the American Basketball Association, according to his USA Today farewell column, http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/martzke/2005-04-14-martzke-goodbye_x.htm, and public relations director for the ABA's Floridians, according to this Orlando Sentinel story, http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1986-07-27/sports/0240120287_1_miami-floridians-basketball-association-miami-beach-convention

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Mr. shockey is right. Surround yourself with scouts/advisors who really know the sport, make sane decisions, have a logical plan, stay within a budget and have the courage not to cave in to fan pressure and you can be a GM. Those things are difficult to do, but you can succeed without knowing a lot about the technical aspects of the sport. In baseball, for example, you'll be relying more on scouting reports than your own first-hand observations.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hockey: Bob McKenzie. And before anybody jumps on me that he's on TSN, he was a print guy for many years.

4. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

NHL - Fluto Shinzawa

5. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

LOL...loved this response.

6. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Having Marty Schottenheimer leaking him everything does not make Chris Mortensen a GM.

John Clayton is a major tool.

The correct answer is very, very, very few media people have even a 50 percent understanding of everything it takes to run an NFL franchise.

This isn't fantasy sports.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

First guy I thought of too. He's not a writer but I would love to see Pierre McGuire have to prove he is as brilliant at running a team as he seems to think he would be.

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Very, very, very few names have been posted here seriously in proportion to the number of media members associated with the league. I would suspect that a similar proportion of anyone in the sports business has a 50 percent understanding of what it takes to run an NFL franchise.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why? I meant it as a serious response.

Ex-player, good insights into the game, pretty good writer.

(Unless you're saying that I'm stretching the definition by calling him a writer, but hell, he's in the New York Times. That makes him a writer in my book.)

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

John Buick... ???

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

In the "Franchise Players" draft recently on ESPN, Glanville picked Wilson Ramos. Ahead of Adrian Gonzalez and Miguel Cabrera and many, many other better players.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

If McGuire were as brilliant as he thinks he is, he'd never have left coaching and scouting for broadcasting in the first place - because he'd still be working as a coach or a scout or somewhere else in hockey operations.

I pray to fucking God that it's true he'll be Ottawa's next GM. With him in the front office and Dave Cameron behind the bench (assuming that rumour is also true), the team may just go 0-82 next year like I want it to.

Draft saved Draft deleted