1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writers Who Could Be GMs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HelicopterHarry, Jun 2, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How about Doug Glanville?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If we're going to answer this seriously, I think Bob McGinn and Rick Gosselin absolutely have the knowledge necessary to work in the front office for a NFL team.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

this is b.s., an example of how snowed we've been by gm-types who act like it's rocket science. it isn't. put many of the folks named here a year to work gm to get his feet wet and they'd be off and running. most gms today don't do it all like the old days, especially when a salary cap is involved. they hire the $$$ geeks to guide them there.

in the nfl, folks like goose and mccann already know enough about who the best guys are to have on their staff in terms of scouts. we've seen several examples of people who have made the transition seamlessly. the only reason it doesn't happen more often is because most owners are afraid to think outside the box; they, too, have been been brainwashed into believing it's only coaches or scouts or life-long front office types who can do it or they're hesitant to go another way.

i mean, it really IS ballsy for an owner to go 'outside the box,' especially for a SPORTSWRITER, when there are always 'safer' ways to go. not many owners have the balls to go this route when it demands cynicism and mocking from the get-go.

4. A second for Gosselin. Guy knows his NFL talent. His top 100 draft list is the bible. Kiper-like knowledge without the shtick.

5. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Maybe should've, or shouldn't have, depending on your view of this, mentioned this earlier, but what about a sabermetrician? Bill James could run the Red Sox, or some of those Baseball Prospectus guys.

6. Yes.
    If Matt Millen and other athletes with no college degree or formal business training can be a GM, I'd venture to say just about anyone can do it.
    Ernie Acorsi.

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Jayson Stark??

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Marty Hurney. Who actually did it.

Wasn't Rudy Martzke an ABA GM or some such?

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I think Martzke was more like a media relations guy.

10. Mulligan

Mulligan Guest

Whatever happened to Snow? He working?

11. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

When I saw this thread, Glazer was the first to come to mind.

He could trade free MMA training sessions for reduced player salary. Hell, it works for getting scoop.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Terry Bledsoe, a sportswriter from Milwaukee became asst. GM for the NY Giants and then GM for the Buffalo Bills. Had a heart attack a couple of months before 1985 draft, opening door for Bill Polian to take over as his replacement.

Draft saved Draft deleted