1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writers Who Could Be GMs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HelicopterHarry, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Well, David Kahn is out.

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Not a huge fan of his but Mel Kiper knows prospects well and could do well drafting. Mike Mayock along with him. Todd McShay would be horrible.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Jay Glazer is enough of a schmoozer that he'd be perfect as a GM.

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Sid.

Been there, done that.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

damn you...

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not a damned one except maybe Bill Simmons in the NBA. And some hockey writer I've never heard of.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Proof positive!

[​IMG]

EDIT: Forgot the link:

In 2011, Sid was honored by both the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Los Angeles Lakers before a game for his contributions to both organizations. Hartman served as the acting general manager of Minneapolis Lakers helping to build what would become the first dynasty in the NBA with the likes of George Mikan, Vern Mikkelsen and head coach John Kundla. The Lakers won five titles in six seasons (1948-49 – 1953-54) before leaving for Los Angeles in 1960.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/personality/sid-hartman/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Agree.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Red Fisher.

10. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

Not sure if any of those NFL guys could really be an NFL general manager. I do know that Matt Bowen, who writes for National Football Post and (I believe) the Chicago Tribune at times, could probably be a decent coach or GM.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Kiper actually started out trying to turn his draft service into a gig as a cout, and eventually, a GM. He once told me in an interview that if he was an NFL GM, he would win a Super Bowl.

I call bullshit, though.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't know one sports writer who full grasps the nuance of the game they cover AND the business involved with it enough to do the head GM job properly tomorrow. With some training, if brought along slowly through an organization, there are plenty who are intelligent enough to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted