1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writers want a rematch, Coaches do not.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jimmy Olson, Nov 19, 2006.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ain't gonna be no rematch.

Michigan had its chance, and failed. No mulligans.

2. aspiring

aspiring Member

What happens if the only once-beatens are ND and UM? THere is no way you can give ND the shot after the UM debacle in South Bend. What then? Does an undefeated Boise State get crushed by OSU in Glendale? You know that the coaches would rather see a rematch than that ratings disaster.

3. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

The only other big ten team in the top 20 of the BCS is Wisconsin. Exactly why should I feel a team which came in second in that conference is so great? Because they beat the king of the service academies Charlie Weis? ND's only win over a BCS top 20 team is GT at 16. Because they gave Ohio State a competitive game? Last time I checked, Illinois did as well. The SEC has four teams in the top 12 right now. Their champ shouldn't even get a shot at Ohio State so the Big ten can have a rematch? I can understand USC getting the nod over an SEC team, but Michigan makes no sense at all.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

If there is a rematch, Ohio State cruises.

Michigan gave it a great shot and just isn't good enough.

Don't know that there is an intriguing matchup for Ohio State. I guess USC would be deserving, but I can't get excited about that.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Sorry, no rematch.

The proponents of the current system hype every week being a playoff. No amnesty.

Michigan had its chance and lost.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

EVERYONE had a chance... against a worse team... and lost.

What a steaming pile of horseshit reasoning that is, no personal offense.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I'm sorry, but SC had it's chance to beat OREGON STATE and lost.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Actually, there's still one other undefeated team, and using your logic, Boise State should get in the national title game. Anybody wanna see that matchup?

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

THAT logic ahead of the tripe put forth that I reacted to.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

That's not my reasoning, Columbo. That's what the bowl proponents say.

If every week's a playoff, Florida should not have gotten a second chance in 1996.

Nebraska should not have gotten a second chance in 2001.

Oklahoma should not have gotten a second chance in 2003.

If every week's a playoff, Michigan should not get a second chance. The fact that there is now no clear-cut No. 2 team -- and, taking the body of work for the whole season, I'll put Florida against Michigan in an instant -- doesn't change that.

The only way Michigan should get a second chance is if it plays the SEC champion, Ohio State plays USC, and the winners play for the championship.

Gee, what a concept.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If Michigan doesn't get another chance, neither should UF or USC, who lost to inferior competition than the Wolverines did.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

The whole year, we've been talking about how OSU is the clear cut#1 and Michigan the clear cut#2. They end up lossing by 3 points at Columbus and they're automatically a worse team than SC?

Draft saved Draft deleted