1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writers/editors, Obama campaign, Chicago

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bob Cook, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I mentioned this in another thread, and I know it's not sports. But I did get an email that the Obama campaign is hiring writers and editors for its digital team at campaign HQ in Chicago.

http://www.my.barackobama.com/Work-For-Us

They need designers, too.

They're upfront that the pay sucks and the hours are long. If you've worked in journalism, you would call this "normal."

It's an 18-month job. Whether or not you have political ambitions, this could be a hell of a job, and a hell of a way to make contacts, especially if you have the luxury of not having a family that needs to see you.

If Obama isn't your cup of tea, or you can't move to Chicago, it might be worth checking other candidates' sites to see if they're looking for writing help.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

18 months is known as "Great job security" in journalism. :D

3. Mizzougrad96

I'd be curious just how bad the pay is.

$30K?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Probably better job security than working at Patch.com.

5. Mizzougrad96

This is something that I really wish I had done when I was younger.

I actually volunteered for Clinton's campaign during the primaries in 1992. I was 18 and basically stuffed envelopes and ordered food for people, but it was a pretty cool thing to be around.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I could and have volunteered on more than one political campaign. But I could never, ever, work as a writer for a campaign, even, maybe especially for a candidate I supported. My words are my own, and in that job, your words of necessity are the candidates.
    I'm not knocking the job or the people who do it. But it's not for me.

7. I worked on Wesley Clark's brief run in 2004 and enjoyed the experience. At the least, the opportunity for top-tier contacts makes this enticing, well, that and the potential of a heck of a book.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Did Ryan Reynolds play you in "Definitely, Maybe"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Mizzougrad96

No, but he's playing me in Two Guys, A Girl and No Journalism Career. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

Just out of curiosity, if one takes a job like this then wishes to return to journalism and reporting would the experience be a disqualifier?

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Dang I want to do this.

12. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

There's no wider revolving door than the one between politics and journalism, at least at higher levels.

Draft saved Draft deleted