1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer's block

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Oct 9, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm working on a couple projects right now--one due tomorrow and the other due in the near future--and I'm stuck.

I have all the information I'll ever need. But I can't get started. I'll start to write and I can't come up with anything. I'll write a lede and rewrite it and rewrite and rewrite.

I'm just stuck and it sucks.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Lace up the sneaks and go for a run. Take a break. Come back to it with a clear mind.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I'll take it. ;D

4. Rhouston

Rhouston Member

My best advice would be to write as many ledes as you can, and even if they don't sound good, keep them. After you do that, walk away and do something to get your mind off of the articles. When you come back, read over all of your ledes again. One of them hopefully will trigger something.

That's what works for me. But hey, all writers are different.

In short, don't trash a lede if it doesn't sound good at first.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

hb -

How's it going at this hour? If you're working, I'm glad to hear it.

If not, try writing something - anything - other than the lede. Write the middle - a couple of scenes you're sure of; or a graf of informational boilerplate; or a physical description of one of your subjects. Write the ending if you know where the piece is headed - or even if you don't.

Sometimes it's hard to sort out the entirety of a piece when viewed from the very beginning. Try instead to write the component parts. Then go back and write your lede.

Good luck.

6. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I got writers block right now too. I am in a funk. I just hope it is a bad week and not an extended slump. I just can't seem to see the story anymore.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm working...cursing my feebleness, but working...

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Keep at it, brother -- better to write a candle than curse the darkness.

9. Hockey, a couple things that might help:

-Forget the wording if that’s what’s giving you trouble. First figure out what type of lede you want to write. Would an anecdotal lede work best for your story? What about a straight news lede? Something funny? Something serious? Figure out your tone first, then set it with words.

-Line up your must-have facts and best quotes you want in the story. That should help clear your vision a little.

-As mentioned earlier, write something in the middle or the end, anything to get you jumpstarted.

Good luck. We've all been there.

10. lono

lono Active Member

Write the second graf first. Lede with it and top it later.

11. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Go night putting. Come back after you make three putts in a row. Start typing.

Draft saved Draft deleted