1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer V. Writer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Maybe the jock part was a bit much, but I think John Irving is an amazing author. Really amazing. And I'm just not that into Tom Wolfe. Never understood all the praise for him.

Edit to add: People seem to hate on Irving for being "crass" or writing weird novels, but I really think he is one of the best storytellers of the last 30 years.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I like John Irving just fine. Rarely do I find his characters believable, but he is an interesting storyteller whose desire to be Dickens literary heir has led him to make some interesting choices as he's tried to layer his novels with social commentary. I like World According to Garp just fine, but I think Cider House Rules and Prayer for Owen Meany are extremely overrated, and I know those are fighting words because people get a literary erection here at SJ every time Prayer for OM comes up.

As a person, I like Irving far more than Wolfe, his ridiculous suits, and his snobbery, but none of Irving's books are as good at The Right Stuff or Bonfire of the Vanities. So to Wolfe cannot hold Irving's jock is silly.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'll fight you to the death on Prayer for Owen Meany.

I took back the jock comment, that was late-night alcohol fueled posting.

His characters may not be the most believable, but I think he tells such a good story that it doesn't matter and as you said, they are very layered with a good mix of social commentary.

As far as Dickens, well, I have never actually read a Dickens novel, so I can't attest to any of that. I really dislike most European authors and don't read them. It's a poor personality trait of mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted