1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer V. Writer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Feb 21, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Read the Taibbi thread on Tom Friedman and then came across this piece from The Atlantic. Seems nothing gets a writer's blood boiling than the exploits and excesses of another writer. And since we're "pen is mightier than the sword" types we don't go all Burr v. Hamilton. Instead, we take it to the 'nets, the message boards or perhaps (if cache is involved) even in print.
    Here's Matthew Scully's rip-job of former boss and chief White House speechwriter Michael Gerson. Anyone have any other classic ripjobs of other writers?

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200709/michael-gerson

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Wolfe vs. Irving, Updike, Mailer

http://archive.salon.com/books/log/2000/01/21/wolfe/index.html

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I do love The Executioner's Song, but shit Tom Wolfe can't hold John Irving's jock.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

When I was on a political opinion Web site, one of the columns wrote a pure attack job bitching out the Dixie Chicks. I wrote a response to his column in which I attacked his *arguments*, not him.

He responded with an ad homenim attack column. I got one or two people who wrote me saying I should learn to write. I didn't respond to that, nor did I respond to his response.

The guy who ran the Web site (a Republican, BTW) suggested the D.C. area columnists get together for coffee or drinks. The funny thing was, he suggested not inviting the guy who blasted the Dixie Chicks. Even though he probably was more ideologically aligned to him than he was to me, he described said columnist as a piece of work.

And, said Web site organizer also pointed out getting e-mails that agreed with me instead of the other guy.

5. Michael Gerson?
    "A first-rate mind"?
    The great lake of Fail sees another boat push away from the dock.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This comment is insane.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Roger Ebert vs. Rob Schneider (who is a screenwriter):

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050811/REVIEWS/50725001

9. The Big Ragu

I thought it. Didn't post it. I love John Irving... as a guilty pleasure. But I really disagree with that one.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

12. The Big Ragu

This is one of my favorite pieces of writing ever. I have read it about 500 times, and it still makes me laugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted