1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer to cover Notre Dame sports

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by IrishEyes, Jan 19, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Excuse my ignorance, but how far does $30K go in South Bend?

This seems like it could be a damn good job.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Like any big college town in the Midwest, cost of living is driven up by the students and the football weekend warriors.

I'd say that $30,000 in South Bend -- presuming you hit the top end of their scale -- would be OK, though.

3. If you've already got some experience, I think 30K is easily attainable. I think you should be fine in South Bend with that much.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

The amount of financial settling that goes into the vast majority of newspaper gigs makes me quite pleased when the youngest Editude laughs when a journalism career is brought up (and quickly dismissed). Marginal sites like Irish eyes, with their one-way calls for loyalty at a salary far lower than almost all professional-track professions, only add to the flattening of the field's relevance.

5. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

I know someone who runs one of the Scout.com sites, and he's not making very much money off of it so the Notre Dame site must do very well with on-line and magazine prescriptions. He works a second job to get by.

Either way, I'd be a bit skeptical -- I know he just hires interns out of college to help with his work so it's not like he hires anyone. And if he did, it wouldn't be like they'd be "employees" -- he'd pay them out of his pocket so I'm shocked at the price this site is claiming to be offering. I can't imagine having any sort of benefits out of this gig.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Once held a job like this. Anyone who takes it will have to deal with season upon season of "Don't worry, he's not a real journalist. He writes for the Internet."

If you can deal with that, fine. I preferred not to have my manhood stuck in a vice every time I went to a game.

7. Go State

Go State Member

Understandable, zebracoy ... but what if this person works his/her tail off and breaks some big news? Notre Dame is still Notre Dame, and breaking something even semi-big might rid this person of that stereotype and lead to some bigger things.

8. Kayo

Kayo New Member

Can't speak for the Web Site, but I know the Irish Eyes Magazine is very solid, and the contributors are all experienced journalists. It looks good, reads well, and is well thought of at Notre Dame. College Web Sites, for the most part, focus on recruiting, and I would imagine the Irish Eyes web site is like that.

9. SilvioDante

SilvioDante Member

Never seen it, huh? Is that why this just so happens to be your first post? Is it also why you're doing podcasts for the site on something called the "Irish Eyes Power Hour":

Friday, October 07, 2005
    Another Great Show on Thursday
    Offensive lineman Eric Olsen talks about his Irish commitment, and Irish Eyes recruiting expert Brian Smith talks about the critical recruiting weekend next weekened when a number of Notre Dame's top targets will watch the Irish take on USC.

Smith also takes a look at some top junior prospects for next year, and Frank and Kayo talk about USC.

Irish Eyes Power Hour No. 11

For more information on the Irish check out Irish Eyes
    posted by Mike Frank at 7:38 AM 0 comments

http://irisheyespowerhour.blogspot.com/2005_10_01_archive.html

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Seconded.

12. Oshkosh

Oshkosh New Member

I am a regular contributor to IrishEyes magazine and the site is well respected. Mike Frank is highy thought of. If I were still in Indiana I would apply for this.

Draft saved Draft deleted