1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer to cover Notre Dame sports

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by IrishEyes, Jan 19, 2008.

1. IrishEyes

IrishEyes New Member

We're looking for a beat writer to join our team at Irish Eyes.com

<a href="http://notredame.scout.com/">Irish Eyes</a>

Irish Eyes is a fully credentialed media source covering Notre Dame sports. We've been in business for 11 years.

This person will cover Notre Dame football, basketball and baseball. You'll have a lot of free time during the summer.

The position would be considered more of an entry level position with a maximum pay of 30K per year.

We're looking for someone who wants to build a career with us and will be with us a very long time. Knowledge of the team and experience are obviously a big plus.

This person will also be asked to write some opinion pieces as well as features so it won't just covering the beat every day.

We'll also have our qualified candidates write something for us (and being paid for it) before we make any final decisions.

We may wait until July to hire someone depending on how our search unfolds.

If you're interested, please e-mail me at: mikefrank18@sbcglobal.net

Thanks,

Mike Frank

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's part of Scout.com just to let everyone know.

3. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Don't know much about the publication but working with Charlie Weis doesn't sound like a piece of cake...unless maybe you bring him a piece of cake.

4. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I have heard nothing but good thinks coming out of scout.com specially now that they are a yahoo.com property. I am also not sure if the writers for the website also writes for the magazine with the same name.

5. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

Rivals.com is affiliated with Yahoo, not Scout.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Scout is with fox sports, and myspace. So you can at least meet a bunch of trashy middle-schoolers.

7. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Ah sorry my mistake. They both merged or became affiliates at about the same time.

Since Scout is affiliated with Fox Sports that should help someone that takes this gig since they have the tv and radio networks.

8. Don't know about the site, but I love the honesty of the ad, including talking salary. You typically don't see that.

9. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I have to agree with you there. I have checked out the scout college specific websites and they are not bad. I say they cover a specific university or pro team better then some newspaper coverage i have seen.

10. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) to the millionth power. unfuckingbelievable. i know you're trying to tap into the nd homer market here, but get fucking real.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Honestly, in this lowball world of ads with 15-20K starting salaries, that's not bad.

Wouldn't want to spend my whole life working there, but...

12. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Only thing on this thread that's unbelievable is your post. As others said, "up to $30K" ain't bad for an entry-level gig, which is what he said this is. In fact, I know of some pretty good-sized newspapers that start people lower than that.

And when he says they want someone who will stay for a long time, he likely means this person could grow with the company ... which means potential raises, promotions, etc., down the line.

Draft saved Draft deleted