1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer -- Temple (TX) Daily Telegram

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hackwilson191, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

The Temple Daily Telegram in Central Texas seeks a talented, motivated sports writer who excels in producing accurate, descriptive stories and thrives under deadline pressure. The right candidate will possess a sharp attention to detail and a desire to be a part of a strong team. Experience as a sports writer at a daily newspaper is preferred. Writing responsibilities will include game stories, previews, breaking news reports, features and occasional columns. Duties include assisting with building pages and editing copy. Working nights and weekends is required. The Telegram covers Temple, Belton and 24 other area high schools, Temple College and the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor in Belton. We also regularly cover Texas, Texas A&M and Baylor football games and bowl games. Members of the Telegram sports staff won a combined six Texas Associated Press Managing Editors awards the last two years. The Telegram is an independently owned newspaper located between Austin and Waco on Interstate 35. Its circulation is 19,500 Monday-Saturday and 22,000 Sunday. This position includes health coverage, paid vacation and the opportunity to join a company savings plan. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, a résumé with references and five to 10 writing examples to Telegram sports editor Greg Wille at gwille@tdtnews.com or mail to Temple Daily Telegram, P.O. Box 6114, Temple TX 76503.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Hack, were you juiced when you drove in 191?

3. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Technically all the booze Hack drank was illegal that year. There should be an asterisk.

4. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

Hack was always "juiced" and I heard this paper may be down 2 :eek: writers now.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This is a pretty good part of Texas to live. An hour from Austin, two hours to San Antonio and DFW if I-35 traffic isn't terrible. The interstate can be a real zoo, especially through Austin.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

From what I understand, they are losing one. I was told the second was moved to news side while they revamp their website. Not sure what the current status is.
    And yeah, it's a good location. In addition to Austin and UT, San Antonio an Dallas, you'd also be just a couple hours from Houston, and not too far from Texas A&M and Baylor, so I imagine Big 12 coverage opportunities are there.
    Austin traffic does suck, but now at least bypassing Austin is easy since they put in a nice toll road.

7. Bobo247

Bobo247 New Member

Anyone know what happened with this job? It is no longer on JournalismJobs.

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Heard they started interviews.

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Just got word on this one that if you haven't been contacted yet, you probably won't be. Interviews have started and they want to at least make an offer by week's end.

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted