1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer, NBA.com/Turner Broadcasting, Atlanta

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Jun 11, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_jobdetail.asp?Agent=1&jobid=461721&ClientId=391&PartnerId=391&SiteId=36&JobSiteId=36&Language=1&JobReqLang=1&JobSiteInfo=461721_36

Interactive Writer, Editorial - NBA.COM
    TimeWarner
    Turner Broadcasting
    United States - Georgia - Atlanta
    Full Time

Qualifications: Three or more years experience in the sports journalism field (to include newspaper, Web, magazine, etc.) or sports information field. Demonstrated understanding of the NBA with the ability to demonstrate insightful or detailed analysis. Strong basic editorial skills (must be able to demonstrate an ability to write, copy edit, and show news judgment). Basketball enthusiast a must. Able to work from remote location, manage time, complete assignments, and be available for evening and/or weekends for shift assignments. Can produce content on last-minute or quick-turnaround deadlines for development in a live publishing environment. Motivated to produce quality content and coverage that will inform and entertain its audience.

Duties: This Interactive Writer position will be available for hire on 9/1/2008. This role will be responsible for taking direction from the Site Producers regarding deadlines, storylines, and assignments. The Interactive Writer for Statistics will participate in semi-annual content planning sessions, pre-production planning sessions around key events (e.g. All-Star, Pre-Season, Playoffs, Finals, Draft), and weekly and/or daily editorial meetings. The Interactive Writer for Statistics will develop professional working relationships with industry contacts, Fantasy gaming partners, and other media partners - including public relations, team owners, players, agents, and others within the NBA framework. This role may be expected to occassionally travel to key events (such as those listed above) plus select press conferences, news events, and other locations in order to produce original analysis. This will require coordination with the Site Producers for assignments, schedules, travel, and expenses. Following standard journalism practices, the Interactive Writer for Statistics will be required to perform storyline research, fact checking, and interviewing of all affected/related parties to ensure accurate and balanced reporting and storytelling.

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers.

2. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

anybody know what the process is for this one?

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Just a stab in the dark, but:

1. You put together a cover letter, resume and work samples if they ask for it.
    2. You send your stuff to the address specified, or you apply online where it says.
    3. You wait for a reply back from a hiring manager
    4. If no reply from hiring manager, go back to No. 1 and start the process all over again for another job.

4. Hookem06

Hookem06 New Member

Solid.

5. Anyone???? Anyone???? Bueller???? Bueller????

Really? Nobody's going to speak up? I'm the one who has to say it.

OK.

YOU'RE HIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

This one says Atlanta, but the description talks about working from a remote location. Anybody know if they're asking you to live in Atlanta or is this is work-from-wherever gig?

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I doubt they want a work from wherever gig, because they want you to attend special events, etc. Just seems like for a position like this you would be working in Atlanta, or a Turner office in another big city.

8. jdklamp

jdklamp Member

Aren't they still looking for a managing editor? It would seem they would probably wait until after the finals for all jobs anyway.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They probably also want to go on vacation this summer, so I'd expect some movement on this sooner than later.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has a similar gig at one of Turner's other digital sites and they asked him to move to Atlanta. He was there for two years before eventually moving back home, keeping the same job. I imagine this would be the same situation, though I'm not sure. I think they want to get the applicant integrated on their turf before it becomes a remote gig.

11. RobCrotch

RobCrotch New Member

Any news on this one?

Draft saved Draft deleted