1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer in Moline, Illinois

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BarbersGmen, Mar 28, 2007.

1. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

Company: Moline Dispatch Publishing Company LLC
    Position: Sportswriter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires: May 2, 2007
    Job ID: 595356

Description:
    Successful candidate will: * have broad knowledge of sports and strong math skills * be able to work efficiently and accurately under nightly deadline * have healthy skepticism coupled with ability to ask probing questions * have developed sense of curiosity and willingness to offer new ideas ·be comfortable dealing with all types of people ·be thick-skinned ·be open-minded ·be bold, enterprising and able to think on his/her feet ·be able to work well independently in the field but also as a part of the sports reporting team ·have excellent English language skills – both written and verbal ·have degree in journalism (or related field) or equivalent life experience

Prefer candidates with work experience as newspaper or broadcast reporter. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS require: ability to work in all climatic conditions; valid drivers license and safe driving record; ability to effectively and efficiently use editorial computer systems. EXPECTED WORK SCHEDULE: Generally 40 hours/week, weekend work mandatory, hours will vary.

We offer: base salary plus bonus compensation program. Medical/prescription/dental. Vision care reimbursement, 401k/profit sharing, paid vacation, holidays and personal days and much more.

Send cover letter and resume to: humanresources@qconline.com Subject line: sportswriter

2. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

What's math have to do with anything?
    My Journalism degree was launched on a collegiate schedule that included nary a single math class.

3. Probably in the ability to compute a box score and tabulate season statistics. Since you're going to be covering mostly high school stuff in the QC, you have to do all that stuff yourself.

4. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Anyone know anything about this opening?

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

There's always an interesting nuggets tucked into these postings. "Ability to work in all climatic conditions" is one of the better one's I've seen.

"Ehh, sorry boss, looks a bit nippy out there today, don't think I'll be making it to that basketball game."

6. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Shirley you can't be serious and this ad was obviously written by an HR dope :p who took basic algebra in community college. That's the first time I've seen "strong math skills" for a job for a sports writer. I never, ever took a math class in getting my journalism B.A. and took statistics classes when I went back for an advanced degree. If you have strong math skills and are capable of working in all climactic conditions, I'd highly advise a higher-paying career, like, say, geologist or engineer. ;D

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Maybe they figure sports guys have to do all that agate by hand.

8. m2spts

m2spts Member

I spent six months at the Q-C Times before I had to relocate because of a knee injury the orthopedist said was one of the worst he had seen (a combination of Theismann, Manning and, lately, Shaun Livingston).
    It's a wonderful area to live, very sports-minded, and the Moline paper was respectable.
    If I had started my job in the spring or summer, rather than in the dead of winter, during a horrible snow storm, during wind and rain and hail and thunder and lightening, I may still be there. But I started in January, a month before tearing my knee, and I knew my time was short.
    I'm sure it's a good job for someone.

9. Would you be writing for both The Dispatch and The Rock Island Argus?

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Hence the requirement to be able to work in all climates, I guess.

11. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

This guy isn't interested:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33512

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

What's their circulation and staff size?

Draft saved Draft deleted