1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

writer in idaho

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tom Petty, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

poky ain't too bad SC. gola is rigid tonight.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Butte rawks, esp. on St. Patty's Day, esp. if you're Irish like I am.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

You were probably thinking Nampa/Caldwell. :D

But the paper, compared to what it was 6-7 years ago, is much improved. Still, it's a small paper and is limited in what it can do.

Poky is Poky. It's got it's good and bad points, plenty of each, actually. I wouldn't put too much stock into the opinion of any one person, especially one who only visited the town for an occasional high school FB game.

4. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

St. patrick's day on Butte is the place to be.
    And St. Erho too...a day before...but it's not as cool if you're not Finnish. (I'm Irish, not Finnish, but it's still crazy)

Slater isn't at Poky anymore, right? Last I read on here he was working in Wisconsin somewhere?

5. HandH

HandH New Member

Who left to open this one up?

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I have no idea who left and no idea where Slater is after his little incident behind the wheel. I really don't follow that paper much at all anymore. But Kellis Robinette is a very good young writer and would be a great addition to many staffs, so he might be moving on. If so, good for him.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Come on Idaho, just because I've only been there somewhere around eight times doesn't mean I can't decide if a town is good or not.
    As far as the paper, I am making my judgements from being in the same chain as them and from attempting to trade information with them. Most of my problems boiled down to Slater and if he is gone, then the paper has already gotten better.
    And the few times I've been to Nampa/Caldwell was still better than the few times I went to Poky. :)

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'd prefer Nampa/Caldwell personally. So I've got no bones to pick with that comparison. but as a guy who lived in Poky for longer than I ever imagined, I can say it's not nearly as bad as some would like to make it out to be. that said, it's no paradise by any imagination, either.

But if you are a young writer hoping to write a lot, learn a lot and grow -- this is a very good little job. if you are a seasoned vet with a family, notsomuch. But housing in Poky is plentiful and affordable.

I just checked the website for the first time in months and it has been upgraded significantly and it looks like a big honkin' high-tech company just broke ground on a new factory/development lab.

If you get bored in Poky, you can always go to the bingo parlor at Fort Hall or soak your buns at Lava Hot Springs. weeeeeeee!

honestly, I'm tempted to make a visit or two this summer for some of the bike races in town. April 21 is a pretty good circuit race up in the hills a couple of miles away from my old house.

9. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Man, oh man did you miss a great story line!

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

For those that missed that storyline, check out page 2 of this thread:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/30425/

11. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I guess I did miss that.
    I remember hearing he was taking anger management classes for verbally abusing someone at the ISJ, after I had a phone interview with him and asked someone on here about the place, but I didn't hear about that one.....Doesn't sound like Poky is lacking excitement at least....

12. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

Poky is one of the few towns in the west that can make Ogden, Utah, look like Portland.

Draft saved Draft deleted