1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer -- Freeport, IL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by WeCoverPretzels, Jun 28, 2007.

1. WeCoverPretzels

WeCoverPretzels New Member

The Journal-Standard, a 14,000-circulation a.m. daily in northwest Illinois, will have a sports reporter spot opening up shortly. We are a four-person desk, with three reporters and one primary designer.

Beats include area high school baseball, boys basketball, girls volleyball and other local sports via general assignment. We cover 20 high schools, Highland Community College, some NIU football and men’s basketball, as well as dirt-track auto racing and a variety of other local sports. On occasion we have ventured into the Big Ten and the Chicago pro sports scene. The successful candidate will be someone who is willing and has shown the ability to hustle, break stories, enterprise and find the story -- even in lopsided games. Design experience is a major plus in applying for this position, as there will be some desk work. This is a good job for talented recent grads or someone looking to move up from a weekly. Our writers have a habit of moving up to bigger papers.

Please send cover letter, 5-8 clips, resume and references to Sports Editor Alex Hickey, 27 S. State Ave., Freeport, IL 61032 or alex.hickey@journalstandard.com

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wow. How many times has this job been posted?

I don't work there, but I can vouch Freeport's a nice town. Dubuque and Rockford are not too far away, but their writers must go on to other gigs pretty quick. Good luck in your search.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

"Dubuque and Rockford are not too far away" - quite a selling point.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Good friend of mine got his start out of this place and had few complaints. It is what it is, but that doesn't mean someone can't make the most of it.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

OK, so it wouldn't qualify me for the Freeport Convention and Visitors Bureau's open position. Just a nice town, that's all, and two nicer towns not too far by. :)

6. Madison's pretty close to Freeport, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted