1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer for Buccaneers.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by andyouare?, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

Yes, you probably do ho-hum company line stuff more than you don't.

But I think the experience you gain on the beat, around the beat writers, the league and the players would be invaluable. I would think a forward-thinking sports editor would see that.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

When you see a forward-thinking sports editor, give a shout, Tiger.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damn, beat me to it.

Writing for the Net? What's that? Any fanboy looser can do that! Don't bother sending him a thanks for applying letter.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Poor kid who takes this gig will probably spend all his salary at Mons Venus.

5. PressRowHack

PressRowHack New Member

Or any other dirt bag place along that strip in Tampa.....actually did Mons for spring break a couple of years ago, and Ybor City was a lotta fun too. But you're probably right. Heck half of the Bucs probably blow their salary there too! ;D

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Two words: Tax deduction. ;)

7. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

I apologize for believing any sports editor would be forward-thinking, whatever that means.

I don't think this job is going to make you ready to go to the New York Times as the Giants' beat writer in 2 years, but whatever young effing stud gets the job will certainly get some incredibly valuable experience for a young writer and certainly, I would think, take steps toward a bigger and better job covering football, should the young stud so choose.

8. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Then again, I've heard it's hard to go from PR to newspapers, and this is more or less a PR job. I'd stay away.

9. Pops

Pops Member

This actually would be a great gig if your goal is to get into pro sports media relations ... a lot better than being an intern for two years near minimum wage and waiting for someone to outgrow their PR assistant position. (One such intern for an NFL team I covered actually left to take a job painting the building and mowing the practice fields ... with a significant raise.)

As far as using it as a springboard to newspaper though, PE is right on. I have no clue what all the "young stud" stuff is about. Any potential employer that spends more time looking at your cover letter than your clips probably isn't going to be a stop on the fast track. I know one of the Ohio teams (I think the Bengals) actually hired away a beat writer from the local newspaper a couple years back, but that's a far different situation than using an on-the-payroll job to try to get into the business. Do you think the team is going to let you break a story on the franchise's sagging finances? Or the star RB's positive drug test? Or even some third-string rookie QB's injury?

If half this job is writing for the game program, chances are the "reporting" begins and ends with press conference transcriptions and open locker room sessions. No disrespect to anyone who applies, but I sincerely doubt any SE will say this experience qualifies you for anything more than an entry-level preps job a couple years down the road.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

As a newbie, you certainly wouldn't know what the "young effing stud" stuff is all about. Fetch me a damn beer! :D

Whoever gets this job might well be able to parlay it into a job covering the NFL. Remember, most of covering a pro sports beat is not
    showing up at games and writing stories --- it's knowing how a professional franchise operates ... the ebb and flow, so to speak ... along with having usable contacts in the sport you're covering.

Hold this job for a few years and, if your newspaper credentials were strong enough beforehand, you'll have several steps up on the sundry Johnny Prepwriters trying to get their feet in the door of a professional or major college beat.

11. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

Thanks, 2much. That's pretty much what I was trying to say, but you said it much better than I did.

12. Pops

Pops Member

That's the key right there. What I meant was I think people vastly overestimate how much newspaper experience can be made up for with a job like this. Accordingly, if you already have 2+ years of newspaper experience, are you really moving to Tampa for 24K?

Draft saved Draft deleted