1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer for Buccaneers.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by andyouare?, Jun 29, 2006.

1. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Any idea what this kind of job would pay?

(From Buccaneers.com, under the employment tab)

Writer
    The Tampa Bay Buccaneers organization seeks to hire a talented and experienced sports Writer to support our Public Relations and Web Site departments.

The position is responsible to prepare written content for the team’s official web site and game program.

The ideal candidate has a Bachelor’s Degree, 2 to 4 years experience writing sports related material for publication and experience providing content for a web site (experience may be gained while in college). Candidate must have excellent writing skills and attention to detail, an understanding of football and the NFL and the ability to thrive in a time-sensitive environment.

Due to the volume of resumes received, candidates should not mail or fax resumes. No phone calls, please.

Contact us about this position (attach resume in MS Word or PDF format)

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My guess is 24K, but that's just a guess.

3. JME

JME Member

Jeez, I'd hope it would be a lot more than that. Yuck.

4. YIKES!!! I agree.

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

If you all think newspapers pay poorly, try taking an entry or mid-level non-player personnel job in professional sports. You'll feel a lot better about your current situation.

6. BH33

BH33 Member

I'd be shocked if this job pays more than 30K. In fact, I'd be shocked if it paid as much as 30K. I think 24K is a good ballpark figure.

7. Song Seven

Song Seven Member

considering that these multi-million dollar pro sports franchises won't even pay interns minimum wage, i wouldn't be surprised in the least to see this gig pay $24k.

8. King_Cecil

King_Cecil Member

I'd do it for 23.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

OK, I'll say it.

YOU'RE HIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Your clues here are:

1. Two to four years' experience (including college experience). They ain't looking for Peter King
    2. You are preparing written content for the website and game program. Not exactly waxing breathless about the eloquence they expect to see.

Could be wrong. But it appears they are looking for a youngster to bat out press release type stories on the web. Not a bad gig, necessarily.

11. JME

JME Member

Good points, Ace. Looking at it again, I'm sure you're right, actually.

12. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Believe it or not.....22 Years ago, and just out of college, I had to move to FL from IL and I applied for just such a position with the Bucs when they were in Tangerine and playing badly. Did not get the job, but rather, a nice, "Good luck in your future" letter. I still have the letter.

Whether I would take the job now for 24K...? Couldn't say.

Draft saved Draft deleted