1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer/designer, Yuma, AZ

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Scott Jungman, Jun 12, 2007.

1. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

Yes, my commute went from 3 to 6 minutes. It was awful. Personally, the commute wasn't the problem. It was waiting in line at Wal-Mart or any of the grocery stores.

PTOWN, Cain won a NJCAA title, correct? My mistake. I've made a few but I didn't say Molina went to Cibola. Copy desk wouldn't have caught that anyway. That's a sports fact that went right over their heads.

Romantic did go the East Valley, along with Steve Burke and Matt Paulson. All former YDS employees that went to EVTrib. Some gifted writers came and went during my time, and a few check this site. They'll tell you how much I fucked up their careers.

As for the badge of honor, you seriously need to read my quote all the way through. I'm saying, "You make it out of there on your own." Yuma is a nice place to start, and you'll learn a few things but you need to make the connections, better your resume on your own -- that's my badge.

2. BeeYouDee

BeeYouDee New Member

Let me add another name to the list of Sun graduates: Troy Renck, the national baseball writer for the Denver Post. One of the best young baseball hacks in the biz.

I'm just wondering if the Sun will travel to Beijing if Jackie Johnson makes it to the Olympics.

3. champ

champ New Member

No, but a better question will they travel to Oregon for the Trials.
    Scott, better get that in the budget now.

4. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

My mistake Hoosier. I never knew of Troy Renck, that's impressive. He must have dominated the local HS baseball scene. Although beating the two TV stations in town is real easy. I don't think we were ever beaten on a serious piece of news while I was there. One time the TV hacks did have us beat on a minor piece of news and they called us and told us about it before going on air??? Another time the lead anchor picked up some fodder on the Scorpions while chatting with drunk players at a bar. He did not try to question the manager, pr guy or any management to try and confirm the story (insert laziness). So he just ran with it. The manager dressed him down infront of a group of fans the next day, and then gave the entire story to me! KYMA at it's finest.

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Renck has great Yuma stories. Nice guy to talk to at a game, even if you have no Yuma connections at all.

6. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

I miss Rich Garcia. Can't believe that guy is still in Yuma. I recall countless times, he'd see me at Pop-A-Tops or Jimmie's and say he was going to Florida or back to California or Alburquerque. Went back over Memorial Day weekend and Rich was still on the KYMA billboard. TV stations aren't competition. Only competition in Yuma is word of mouth.

7. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Is "miss" the correct terminology here Hoosier? I never understood why Rich continues to stay. I mean he's real lazy, but what TV person isn't? Worse anchors have gotten out. And he is knowledgeable, at least more so than many of the anchors that have worked at that station and left. If he had a little hustle he could move on to a bigger market. It's not that hard in TV to do so. I'm sure Ben Seaver will have something to say about this.

8. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

The deal with Rich is why would he want to leave now? Jim Howell gained a loyal audience during his tenure on KYMA and with local radio. Rich has basically done the same thing. He'd have to start all over. Why do that? Why give up "hitting on" another crop of AWC freshmen. Or pumping iron at World Gym. Or going to Jimmie's after work and hitting on all the hispanic girls. Worse anchors have left...I know we have one in Bakersfield via Yuma. But no reason for him move on now.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Now this thread's really hit niche status. I remember going to the local boobatorium in Yuma and seeing the aforementioned anchor's fiancee stretching some rube's elastic fitted hat over her ample bosoms and thinking we discovered something about the guy. Alas everyone else knew he, like the song goes, was in love with a stripper. Nothing says small town anchor like that.

10. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

May we also note that CNN's Lou Dobbs was, back in the '70s, a radio/TV reporter in Yuma.

Just sayin'......

11. Cousin Jeffrey

How could AWC fire "Stone Cold" Pam Stone? Man, that's harsh. I loved her assessments of her players, like "She acts like she's good, so she fools a lot of people."

12. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Pam Stone was not one to hold anything back. She was very friendly to the media, even thanked me once for driving to Central Arizona for the playoffs. But she was brutal on her players, especially if you were a bum. I can se how 18 and 19 year olds would not be motivited by her tactics. These days you have to be a touchy feely coach, although it's the hardasses that get the best results in my opnion. I highly doubt AWC will find a coach with her credentials, though that is a good league.

Draft saved Draft deleted