1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer/designer, Yuma, AZ

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Scott Jungman, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Boognish

Boognish Member

Who is leaving?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I L-O-V-E love Yuma, Ariz. It is a very cool town, plus it has just the right tempature outside, even when you get off of work. Fucking balmy at all times.
    It is more than just a line in an Eagles song, that is for damn sure. As far as the paper, I've got nothing.

3. Would it be possible to commute from Mexico?

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yes.

5. Scott Jungman

Scott Jungman New Member

Nobody has left, well sort of. One of our staffers shifted over to the design desk to fill a void there, but he will still be contributing to sports occasionally.

6. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

Are you sure you're not confusing it with Winslow, Arizona?

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Chretin's Mexican Food is a darn good place to eat and drink.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Extremely possible. Oh well.

9. Billy Shears

Billy Shears New Member

I heard the SE is the only person fortunate enough to get a sniff at NFL games. Some balance. This time last year when this job was up a college degree was required. Is the paper aiming lower (read: cheaper?) From what I gather the Sun actually had a city desk writer living in San Luis Mexico last year because he couldn't afford the "excellent" cost of living. Dorm style studios there run at $545 currently. He left for the Peace Corps. Don't laugh, it's funny cause it's true.

10. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

You can afford to live alone on a reporter's salary in Yuma. Of course, you probably shouldn't have a car payment, and you'll need to defer your college loans. I always had roommates when I worked at The Sun, and all of my reporters had roommates. It's not peanuts but it's a quality job for a kid out of college.

Don't knock it. I went back with my wife and son over Memorial Day, and the town has grown threefold from when I departed in 2004.

Will say the newshole has shrunk from my days at the newspaper. Of course, what paper's hasn't?

11. Billy Shears

Billy Shears New Member

yeah I am surprised they are even hiring another writer for their 1 1/2 page section.

12. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Wednesday: Happiest day of the week. Chretin's buffet lunch. Good times.

Draft saved Draft deleted