1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer/designer in Danville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DrewWilson, Feb 2, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Yes, I found it surprising as well but two guys I know got e-mails like that. Hopefully, there's a good reason for it. I know Drew doesn't do things like that for kicks.

2. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

I'd like to set the record straight so you can hear it from me. Hiring has not been completely finalized. We had three finalists that we brought in to interview over the past few weeks.

And Boots' accusation about me sending e-mails telling people I would give them phone interviews is untrue. I never guarantee anyone any phone interviews unless I contact them to set up one. Boots did PM me with a recommendation and I told him I appreciated the help and I would look into it. That came prior to me receiving any applications, including the person Boots recommended. I don't know how other SEs run their hiring, but I'm not going to interview anyone unless I have his or her resume and clips to review first. I did tell Boots that if that recommendation was a worthy candidate, I would likely give them a call. But as I said, you can't deem a person a worthy candidate unless you see his or her work first. And we have tons of quality applicants, but it doesn't mean they are the right fit for this particular job opening.

Many candidates followed up or contacted me, and at the most I told them I had received their stuff and that I would review it.

I do not know Boots, wouldn't know Boots if he were standing beside me. If Boots was recommending himself while acting as a third party, then maybe his accusations could be spun that way. But otherwise, it's not correct. I don't run business that way.

3. boots

boots New Member

Drew, we're not going to get into a hissing match.
    The person I recommended WASN'T the person who told me the information.
    No one is telling you how to go about your selection process. However, when the individuals I talked to forwarded e-mails that were sent from Danville, I do pay attention. Those individuals wouldn't go out of their way to do that.
    I wish you much success in your search. I'm sure you will find what you are ultimately looking for.
    boots

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

But, but, but Drew!!!!! What about the boots pipeline? Are you saying it's WRONG?!?!?!

That can't be true. Can't be.

5. boots

boots New Member

The boots pipeline is working just fine. Thanks for asking. Our record speaks for itself.
    This isn't a pipeline situation and it's really nothing to get over hyped about. I respect Drew and the paper. Don't try to make something out of nothing.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Don't try to make something out of nothing?

You have come on this site, throwing shit against the wall, claiming to know basically everyone who has ever worked in sports journalism and every job that could ever possibly be open. Because the "boots pipeline" knows everything.

Now, you're impugning the reputation of a very highly regarded SE, whom I happen to know personally and who does not seem the type to do anything even remotely close to what you're charging him with IN PUBLIC when he's using his real name and you're hiding out with 'forwarded e-mails' from people other than who you talked to him about? And YOU don't want anyone ELSE to make something out of nothing?

Fuck you, boots. Fuck you and your stupid posts claiming to know everyone and everything. You come off as a poser, and this is the worst instance.

7. boots

boots New Member

First off, you don't know me.
    Secondly, if you are a girl, you need your mouth washed with soap because it's foul.
    I NEVER said anything about Drew. I repeated what a couple of people, who I might add forwarded the information to me, gave me about what's going on.
    Highly respected doesn't mean shit if things aren't done well.
    Again, if you DON'T KNOW what you are talking about , and in this case, I will take the forwarded e-mails over your "friendship",don't come on here bashing people. I've been around a lot longer than you missy and will be here when you are through.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Boots,

You do realize people can change e-mails befor they forward them, right? Like, you could write me saying you won 17 awards and I could forward it to 25 other people after changing it to say you're the biggest fucktard ever to walk the Earth?

I mean, you get that right?

And if you say you trust the people that sent them...then you're using the same defense I am. Friendship and knowledge of the people involved.

Point is, you claim to have the inside scoop on every job and every person ever mentioned. It gets old, and it's transparently obvious that you don't.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Both have said their piece.

Post about this job or don't post at all. If you have a problem with each other, take the bullshit to the bullshit boards.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Man, this thread's turned into last call at Cluck's.

11. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Thank you, Gutter.

When all the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted and everything is officially finalized, I will let everyone know.

12. Thanks, as always, for being straight-forward, Drew. Good luck with the search, and say hi to Jeff.

Draft saved Draft deleted