1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer/designer in Danville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DrewWilson, Feb 2, 2007.

1. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Position: Sports writer/copy editor/page designer
    Property: Danville Register & Bee
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000

Are you well-rounded? We might have the perfect job for you. The Register & Bee is looking for candidates who can demonstrate a high energy level and good organizational skills in order to juggle page design and daily and longer-term writing projects.

We are a Media General newspaper located in south central Virginia, on the border of North Carolina. The area is central to Greensboro, N.C., Raleigh, N.C., Roanoke, Va., and Richmond, Va. The Danville Register & Bee is a daily newspaper with an average daily circulation of 21,500 and 24,000 on Sundays.

The person who joins our team will have the opportunity to display and further develop their writing and page design skills. We primarily cover five high schools that regularly compete for state football, basketball and baseball titles; three auto racing tracks that host NASCAR and road racing events; college football, basketball and baseball at a Division 3 university; a minor league baseball team; and some Atlantic Coast Conference football and basketball games and the ACC basketball tournament.

The person will share page design duties with the rest of the sports staff, which will likely consist of 1-2 nights each week of copy editing and page design, including section fronts, as well as beat coverage and general assignments, including events, breaking sports news and enterprise stories. This job is more of an entry level position and perfect for recent graduates or journalists with several years of experience.

Contact Drew Wilson, sports editor, by e-mail at cwilson@registerbee.com. Mail cover letter, resume and writing and page design samples to Drew Wilson, sports editor, P.O. Box 331, Danville, VA 24543.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Allow me to be the first to say: Drew Wilson is one of the good ones. A good guy, young, but knows what the hell he's doing.

3. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

FYI, no one is leaving. This is the fourth position on the sports staff that has been frozen for a while.

Also, I'm looking to move on this quickly, so if you are interested, get your resume and clips in ASAP.

4. Hmmm ... I wonder if that means the open position in my shop will be unfrozen.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I interviewed here once. Good people. Managing editor is a good guy. I think Drew might have been a sports writer then, but don't quote me on that. High school baseball is very good with kids regularly getting drafted. I believe they cover races at Martinsville, Richmond and Lowe's. Pay range kind of sucks, but it's cheap as hell to live in that area. Would be a good job for a newbie or someone with a little experience.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

There's a new managing editor in Danville, right?

7. Nope. New publisher.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Danville is in suburban Tightsqueeze.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Anybody with questions can send them my way, I should have a few answers. It's a great place for a young guy or gal. You do a bit of everything and several people have moved on to pretty good jobs in the past few years.

10. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I'm kinda surprised Drew is still there. Figured he'd be doing bigger and better things by now.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Jesus, way to forget the best part of the job:

[​IMG]
    Golden Skillet
    13629 US Highway 29, South
    432-4633

What Southern town would be complete without a place to get a plateful of fried chicken? For those in your party that aren't in the mood, Golden Skillet also has roasted chicken, fried oysters, gizzards, and corndogs. And in the summer time, you can guarantee that your steaming hot food will be paired with the coldest A/C around. Open for lunch and dinner Monday - Saturday, 11 AM - 8 PM

Good job, good people, great opportunities for coverage when you're there and promotion when it's time not to be there. Biggest mistake of my life leaving there, and that was under far sketchier circumstances. And this is me we're talking about!

Oh, and I'm pretty sure they have more biscuit joints per capita than any other Virginia locality.

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

It may be a good place to work, but I'm not sure great. The area certainly isn't great. But you're dead on about being able to cover a lot of different things which will help you move on to bigger and better things.

Draft saved Draft deleted