1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

writer and columnist, Naples Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by drakescoffeecake, Dec 5, 2005.

1. greedo

greedo Guest

Tom Hanson is a real piece of work.

2. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

Nah, you should be good. I am being told they want to move fast on these, so anyone else interested shouldn't wait too long.

3. Any leads on who might be applying for the columnist gig?

4. greedo

greedo Guest

The paper is very good at what it does, but it could be so much better. There is plenty of opportunity from a newspapering standpoint in this community. It has one of the highest per capita GNPs in the U.S.

5. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Visited paper on a job hunt last spring. Interesting newsroom and eclectic crew. Put out a good product. But geez, if you don't have money, there is nothing to do except swat mosquitoes while you catch some rays. Downtown Naples is beautiful, but not on a journalist' salary. Would be a fantastic opportunity for someone who likes to live indoors. And golf courses? Rows and rows of em ... but bring your American Express.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

MGo, there's something to be said for throwing away your entire winter clothing collection.

I visited the area around the same time you did and found it beautiful. For any northener, it's literally paradise.

And, yes, you can afford to live there -- like anywhere, if you do some hunting. Rooms for rent (with non-sketchy folks) are always available for a reasonable price and, believe it or not, not always a bad deal.

No, it's not ideal for a vet. But for a late-20-something, even, who doesn't mind a little adventure it's a good opportunity. At least it's not like the Berkshire Beacon, which continually begs people to hitch-hike to Lenox and bring some peanuts, spending money and a sleeping bag along with them as if it's some journalism fantasy camp.

7. They're trying to revamp the salary structure there, which is good, but it's not going to catch up to the cost of living.
    If you're single, it's not a bad place to start. If you've got a family, better hope your spouse has a decent job if you want to buy. Condos are $200-plus and good luck on finding a house under $300k. And we're not talking McMansions, that's what starter homes are going for down there.
    That's not to discourage anyone from applying. They're making a big push in sports and on the web and need all the help they can get. And make sure you trade in your SUV for a Civic Hybrid. You will be on the road a lot.

8. rascalface

rascalface Member

don't forget the satellite radio.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A friend of mine works in TV in Naples. I've visited him several times and love Naples/Fort Myers/Marco Island.

Is it pricey? Name a coastal town that isn't. But locals find the deals and avoid the snowbird rates.

As for golf courses, ones that charge huge fees in the winter can be played for $25 during the summer. Just watch out for gators in the water hazards.

10. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Would figure this gig would go to someone on the staff there who might be "ontherebound" unless he's already rebounding somewhere else.

11. mad dawg

mad dawg Member

I'm on the rebound.

Oh, you meant work? Oops ;)

12. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Anybody heard anything here?

Draft saved Draft deleted