1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

writer and columnist, Naples Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by drakescoffeecake, Dec 5, 2005.

1. The Naples Daily News has openings for a sports writer and columnist for its 2004 APSE Top 10 section.

The sports writer will mainly cover high school and youth sports, while the columnist will also have other writing and administrative responsibilities.

Both the writer and columnist must be prepared to play key roles in our multi-media efforts through podcasts, etc., on our Web sites: www.naplesnews.com and www.bonitanews.com.

The Naples Daily News is an equal opportunity employer.

The 60,000-circulation Scripps newspaper covers 11 high schools in Collier and south Lee counties, as well as the ECHL's Florida Everblades, the NBA Development League's Florida Flame and Florida Gulf Coast University athletics. We also cover Florida, Florida State and Miami football, plus the Dolphins and Buccaneers, and Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins spring training. We also have two professional golf tournaments and a Champions Cup Series tennis event in our area.

To apply, send a resume and writing samples to:

Greg Hardwig
    Sports Editor
    Naples Daily News
    1075 Central Ave.
    Naples, FL 34102

You may also apply via e-mail to:
    gshardwig@naplesnews.com.

No phone calls please.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Last time they had an opening, the thread mentioned something about Scripps maybe adding a position there. Is that the case?

3. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Will Graves left to join AP in Louisivlle.

4. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

And Tom Hanson has moved to the Bonita Springs office to become the news side columnist. The paper has been trying to create a more independent and broader-reaching Bonita office and Bonita newspaper. They hired a ton of people just a few months ago.

5. They're gung-ho about convergence, I hear...hired a bunch of new people this summer to lead that campaign.

Expensive as hell to live there, nice town, lots of golf courses. The paper is good and getting better, but the problem is there are few true beats, since every big sport (USF, Miami, FAU, FIU, Dolphins, Florida State, Florida, Buccaneers) are several hours away.

It's kind of no-man's land in Florida, but they make do.

6. jazzsinger

jazzsinger New Member

Wow! Tom Hanson is leaving sports. Didn't he finish top 5 APSE columnists last year? I heard he can be a real pain to deal with but he can really turn it out. He's everywhere. I've seen him at FSU/Florida and then the Bucs game the next day. And I know he goes to Miami a lot and does the Dolphins and the Canes. I'm surprised a bigger paper didn't snag him up. With him and Graves both leaving that is going to be hard to replace.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'll say it first, I guess...
    Thanks for checking in Tom.

8. greenthumb

greenthumb Member

Anyone have an idea what the pay scale is for these jobs? Cost of living, at least if you are planning to live in anything bigger than a 1-bedroom apt., can be pretty steep down there.

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Gee, jazzsinger, are you close to Tom?

How long have you two been living together??? ::)

10. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

From what I've been told, they're getting plenty of resumes for the columnist job, as you would expect. They're looking for a few more for the preps job.

So if you know a young guy or girl (or are a young guy or girl) who wouldn't mind living in Florida and covering a strong, but under the radar, preps area, they're looking to hear from you.

11. JDiddy

JDiddy Guest

Sent my stuff out today. Think it's too late?

12. Tom is quite a character.

If you let him, he will talk your friggin' ear off.

Draft saved Draft deleted