1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer - Abilene Reporter-News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CUinthenewsroom, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Date posted: 6/21/2007
    Newspaper: Abilene Reporter-News
    Job listing: Sports Writer
    Contact
    (e-mail): Nathan Sanders, Sports Editor
    sandersn@reporternews.com
    Phone number: (325) 670-5213
    Information: The Abilene Reporter-News, an award-winning daily newspaper with a Sunday circulation of 40,000, is seeking a full-time sports writer.

Job duties would include beat coverage of one local high school (Abilene High School) and one local college (McMurry University) in addition to a limited amount of copy editing. Design and/or paginating skills are not necessary. Salary is competitive. Professional experience is preferred.

Resumes, references and work samples should be sent to:

Nathan Sanders

Sports Editor
    Abilene Reporter-News
    101 Cypress St.
    Abilene, TX 79601

Fax: (325) 670-5242

You may also apply via e-mail to:
    sandersn@reporternews.com.

2. Boognish

Boognish Member

If I had a gun for every ace I have drawn ...

3. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

So does anyone know about this paper? Seems like a decent second gig for a weekly guy or a small daily to a bigger daily. Also what's D3 football like? I assume they play mainly Texas teams.

4. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

It should be interesting to see what Nathan Sanders can do there. That place was in shambles, but the Editor was canned, as was the ME (I believe), and I've heard nothing but good things about Sanders. I hope he can turn it back around because it used to a great paper for its size.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

NCAA D-III football is no picnic, but it could get a lot worse. McMurry competes in the American Southwest Conference with Mississippi College , Sul Ross State (Texas), East Texas Baptist, Texas Lutheran, Howard Payne (Texas), Louisiana College, Mary Hardin-Baylor (Texas), and Hardin-Simmons (Texas). The bigger "perk" for this job would be the Abilene High beat. District 3-5A is what some people out in West Texas call "The Little Southwest Conference" with Abilene, Abilene Cooper, Midland, Midland Lee, Odessa, and Odessa Permian. Yes, the "Friday Night Lights" Permian. Players like Roy Williams (Odessa Permian, UT, Lions) and Cedric Benson (Midland Lee, UT, Bears) have come from that district in recent years.

6. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

It's not really the little SWC anymore. That was more back in the 70s and 80s. In fact, aside from Roy and Cedric, not one's really come out of any of those schools and done much, although AHS has had a few guys go major D-I recently. We'll see if they pan out to be anything. Oh yeah, I guess you could throw Dominic Rhodes into that mix (Abilene Cooper).

As for the high schools though, Wylie is probably the best but it's 3A. AHS is definitely the better one to cover ahead of Cooper.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

Yeah, I knew it had been called the little SWC at some point, but not totally sure. I guess that's what happens when a boy raised in East Texas speaks on something out there in that neck of the woods (or lack of woods, I should say). I may be thinking of someone else, but I think Abilene had a good QB that went to Tech or somewhere. Seems like his name was Potter.

8. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Taylor Potts. He'll be the backup QB this year. He's apparently got something, but he won't beat out Harrell. He's one of the ones I was talking about, as well as his main target in high school, who also went to Tech. I believe his last name is Deng or Duong or Dong, or something along those lines.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wylie is good, but Abilene High has won District 3-5A the last two seasons and is the favorite again this year, so it is a good beat to come in on. They have a really cool coach, as well.
    Jacob Brown, who has been there at least two years, left to go to grad school.

10. zman82

zman82 Member

nathan's a good guy and a good journalist. too bad abilene sucks. bars close at midnight and all three colleges are pretty religious.

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Abilene Christian = Church of Christ

Hardin-Simmons = Southern Baptist

McMurry = Methodist

The nearest four-year state school would be either Angelo State in San Angelo or Tarleton State in Stephenville

As someone once said, this is the buckle of the Bible Belt

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

as a bonus the bars stay open an extra hour on the weekends.

Draft saved Draft deleted