1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Write the gamer, don't try your stand-up material...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by markvid, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I think it's OK for a gamer lede, perhaps better for a columnist's lede or early graph.

I'll certainly take this one-time lede over those who all foolishly do Halloween ledes on routine high school football gamers.

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Adding on to that, one of the truly great things about a good copy desk is that you feel free to try new things, knowing full well that it'll most likely be axed if it doesn't fly. That's a lot better than knowing that what you write will probably be what people see, good or bad.

Of course, then there's the possibility that the copy guys are all having great laughs at your lede directly at your expense, but maybe that's another topic for another time.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Ledes that could have been used:

Penn State breaks a leg for JoPa!

Penn State makes Temple look Owl-ful!

JoPa wobbles but he don't fall down ... to Temple!

Penn State rolls in like a Lion, out with a BAM!

I include these because the central tenet of journalism is to include ledes with exclamation points. And words with CAPS.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Those almost are as bad as the buttons handed out by Citizen Bank every game weekend.

"Lions don't tire out." (Akron)
    "The Cat gets the cheese." (Wisconsin)
    "You're not Owl that." (Temple)

There are a few others that are pretty groan worthy.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And when Temple broke its long-ass losing streak, if you were courting the young Internet loser demo ...

"Owls win? O RLY?"
    Subhed: "YA RLY"

6. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

droll turn of phrase - sportswriting used to be more consistently droll and clever - before the Era of ranting, obsessive stats, and shrinking access

it's just sports - lighten up - go back and read jim murray - he would have loved that line

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This reminds me of something one of the old sports writers told me after the press conference ended for a particularly, one-sided, hardly-anything-of-note game:

"I'm going to write a shitty story, but it will still be better than the game."

Draft saved Draft deleted