1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Write the gamer, don't try your stand-up material...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by markvid, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I don't mind trying different things, but someone -- either the writer or an editor -- needs to know when it comes short before it hits the porches and newsstands. I thought it was corny and rolled my eyes, but I could see people not being happy about what they'd see as a cheap shot on JoePa. I could also see the reference going over people's heads (gimper? I don't ... get it). I doubt anyone's going to see that line and think "holy shit, am I glad I have a copy of the Hometown Humper in my hands!"

Take chances, but make sure they're worth the effort before the general public gets it.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Come on, gang, there's nothing wrong with starting threads about something that appeared in the paper; it's not like markvid snuck into the writer's diary, he's raising an issue about something that was written for publication.

As for the line, how many readers peruse a gamer and gasp, "WHAT?! Who put this joke in the gamer!? NO JOKES IN THE GAMER! Cancel our subscription!"

It didn't strike me as offensive or inappropriate--we're talking about a broken leg, not brain cancer--although it does sound more Holiday-Inn-Lounge-Act than newspaper reporting.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My only problem with it is that it isn't funny.

4. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

That sounds like something that Killick would write.

5. It would have been funnier if it was Charlie Weis who broke his leg. Yeah, it's a groaner, but I've seen worse. I've seen writers go to more tortuous lengths to get in a one-liner. Give the writer some credit for trying to liven up a bad game.

As far as it being a cheap shot at JoePa -- no way. He broke his leg coaching. He's not disabled.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I love it. But only because it's JoePa.

That makes it okay.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

I just don't find it amusing when the injury requires surgery and a week-long hospital stay.

And for the record, it was Ray Fittipaldo of the P-G.
    Look, I'm all for creativity in stories and Lord knows I like humor, but I don't think it was appropriate on this one.

8. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

The line put a smile on my face and I'm sure there were tens of thousands of others. Isn't that what writers should be trying for?

If that writer is checking in here, don't listen to the harrumphing.

9. Humor takes a light touch. This lead lands with a thud, like the hoof a Budweiser Clydesdale. I can name quite a few writers making a lot less money who could come up with a funnier lead.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

"I didn't get a harrumph out of that guy!"

[​IMG]

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't know when he wrote that line (which I don't have a huge problem with). But my personal rule is this. If something creative and funny falls out of my fingers while I happen to be in the heat typing, great. If I'm kissing myself for something creative and funny and trying to write a piece around it, not great.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Absolutely. You have to capitalize the G in Gimper. Horrendous.

Draft saved Draft deleted