1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrigley Field

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, May 7, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Went with The Future this weekend to Chicago and a Cubs game. Had a great time, minus the chilly wind.
    But I left realizing I really enjoy Wrigley. Even as a Cardinals' fan, I enjoy the atmosphere in and around Wrigley.
    But more to the point, I think what attracts me to Wrigley it feels like old school baseball (nevermind the product on the field, or the entirely-too-loud music pumped through the stadium) ... I feel you could easily be transplanted to the 40s and 50s if you field the stadium with people dressed more professionally and in top hats, and required the players to wear retro uniforms. Could have the feel of the old pictures you see of Ebbets Field, the Polo Grounds, etc.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Every day is Opening Day at Wrigley. That's the feeling I came away with.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Great place to see a game. My only issue is that most people seem to think you have to be under the influence to enjoy baseball. Maybe the Cubs drive one to drink. . . . .

And the outside atmosphere is nice too, with one hilarious caveat. I always thought it was funny that they built a statue to Harry Caray. The ANNOUNCER! Who, by the time he came to the Cubbies, had left his best years behind him.

But yeah, awesome overall experience, especially laughing at the Cuibs fans who clamor to take a photo with th statue of their former announcer.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What the hell are you talking about? I've been to more than 100 games in my life, and I don't have a single photo of myself or anyone I know in front of Harry Caray's statue. The people you're referring to are Cubs fans in name only; they're fucking tourists, nothing more.

Of course, we're not the "best fans in baseball" like Cardinals fans. ::)

[​IMG]

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Nice atmosphere at Wrigley, I had a great time there and got pretty much the quintessential Cubs game (Prior had 16 Ks in eight innings, Sammy belted one onto Waveland and Borowski blew the save in the ninth by giving up a home run to Scott Podsednik).

That said, they really do need to refurbish the place. Put in some better signage and whatnot. The Red Sox did that with Fenway and I don't think it took away from the old-time atmosphere a bit (except for closing off Yawkey Way to only ticket holders).

All they have is the out of town scoreboard and the linescore. Give me an electronic board somewhere in the park that has batting averages, mph, etc.

I think nostalgia clouds a lot of people's view of that park. I went on a road trip in 2003 where I visited six stadiums and it wasn't even in the top two (Jacobs and PNC were both better parks). Fenway is a better park and so is Yankee Stadium. Wrigley has a great atmosphere, but the stadium is missing some features that would make it better. The neighborhood around it is second to none, though.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You obviously haven't been there in a while. They now have those signs on the first base and third base sides.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Uncalled for.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agree to disagree here. Saw two games at Wrigley, loved both, wouldn't change a thing about it. Fenway's good, but the seats, cleanliness and atmosphere help swing the edge to Wrigley. And that's not to mention seeing the Chicago skyline from the left field seats.

Going to see Yankee Stadium for the first time in August, so I'll how how it stacks up to Wrigley and Fenway then.

9. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Ummm, Doc, he said he was laughing at the Cubs fans that DID have their picture taken in front of the statue...a little defensive?

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Well . . . .you might be one of those weird pople who actually knows about the game and cares about it?

I've known many Cubbies fans who thought Caray and a beer was what baseball is all about, the reason to go. I've known others who liked to watch baseball games.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Interesting side note: Cubs tie it in the ninth, runners on 1st and 3rd, DLee walking to the plate. Intentional walk is met by a shower of boos. Let's at least realize they're making the right baseball decision. It's not like they're walking DLee with two outs, nobody on in the first.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. It was 2003 that I was there and I didn't see them there.

True, Fenway is dirtier, especially if it rained earlier in the day. As far as atmosphere goes, outside Wrigley is better, inside Fenway is better. More people who actually care about the game in there instead of people just looking to get drunk in the sun (though there are plenty of those, too). And I hate the Red Sox.

Draft saved Draft deleted