1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrigley Field Take Me Out To The Ballgame question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Z-Man and I trekked to Wrigley Field the other night to see the Brewers play the Cubs. My hatred of the Cubs is well-known, but no one in their right mind could hate Wrigley.

I can hate the fact that Harry Caray's statue on the corner of Waveland and Sheffield looks like a demon being birthed from the depths of hell (right down to the Nightmare On Elm Street/Evil Dead faces of the souls he's appropriated and condemned to eternal damnation), that Geovany Soto hit two home runs for the Cubs, and that the Go, Cubs, Go! song is scads more horrid in person than it is on TV, but I digress. We enjoyed the experience a lot.

But we were wondering. As Kurt Busch prepared to sing the 7th Inning Stretch (if you're driving, please avoid bridge abutments, should you still chose to live upon knowing Kurt Busch sang at a Cubs game), did the Empire Carpet guy, or, the singers who did the Lincoln Carpet jingle, ever get to sing Take Me Out To The Ballgame?

Empire Carpet guy (who died recently, didn't he?) and the Lincoln jingle are avatars of the Cubs' watching experience on WGN. They both should have got their props. How bad ass would it be to be at Wrigley when they sang? It's undeniable that both would get a massive ovation and deservedly so.

If the Cubs whore out the song to dickheads like Kurt Busch or whatever celebrity flavor of the month happened to be in Chicago at the time, surely they should have thrown a bone to Empire Carpet guy and the Lincoln jingle singers, icons of Cubs- and Chicago-dom.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So glad Cubdom has claimed Harry for their own.

Still trying to forget his years on the South Side, and the lush embarassed himself in St. Louis, for years.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Opening day 1980, sitting in Knollwood Tavern in Kalamazoo, watching the Sox stumble to a 4-0 first inning deficit against the Orioles... Caray turns to Jimmy Piersall and says "Everything we thought would go wrong with the Sox this season has happened in the very first inning of the very first game..."
    Good times...

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

First of all, Fuck Wisconsin...

But to answer your question, I don't recall if the Empire Guy or Lincoln Jingle Singers ever got to do TMOTTBG. I do know that Ozzy Osbourne did it once and I was there to hear it. I am quite certain you could dig up the Empire Guy and he'd do a better job today than Ozzy did then.

I freaking hate that they're still doing this and hoped they'd stop once the Trib sold the team.

That said, one thing they've started doing with it that I do think is cool is having the guys on the ground crew sing it from the field at the last home game of the season.

Other than that, Just. Fucking. Stop.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I did some research ... they had an Empire Carpet Day at Wrigley about five years ago, but it did not indicate whether Empire Carpet guy got to sing Take Me Out To The Ballgame.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

[
    IIRC, they started brining in "celebrity singers" after Harry died to keep the tradition alive. That same summer, Jack Brickhouse also died, and I was hoping they'd honor him by not singing TMOTTB, since he didn't either.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Speaking of research:

Ball Game.

Draft saved Draft deleted