1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrigley Field for the first time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jun 3, 2009.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I went there the same summer I went to Wrigley and enjoyed Wrigley more. Just slightly behind those two is Dodger Stadium. I wish I could have gotten to Tiger Stadium while it was around.

And 93, why is NYC off the list if you have family there?

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

You have never been to a golf tournament then?

I would like to go to a game at Wrigley sometime though.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Loved going to Wrigley with my dad. Back to back games. The fans were totally cool - had a beer at Murphy's, went down the street to The Blarney Stone for a couple more, shocked that they had a kid in there selling candy for her soccer team, a dog was hanging around as well.
    Some great little bars in that town.

Went on one of the boat tours of the architecture - good stuff.

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I saw a game in Tiger Stadium, and while it was kinda dumpy, I really enjoyed it. This was in like '96, when the Indians were at the height of their popularity and had Clevelanders traveling with the team because the Jake was sold out every game. It was the first time I'd seen a pro sporting event outside Cleveland. The fact that the crowd was probably about 90 percent Tribe fans was something else. Probably the best stadium in baseball in terms of quality of view from the upper deck, thanks to the fact it hung over the field.

Nothing, though, beats Wrigley Field. I've been there for three games (twice in '98, once in '04), and it was heaven on earth. To quote my history of baseball professor at Ohio University, if they ever announce that they're tearing down Wrigley Field, I'm organizing a militia and standing outside the gates to save the park.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would want the little girl to see a new city. NYC would be old hat because she would have seen family there already. That is why it would be off the list as would Pittsburgh.

6. 93Devil

My only bitch with Wrigley is the narrowness of the seats. If you are next to a huge monster who tries to video the entire fucking game, then it can get old. That's when you roam the stadium and enjoy the views.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What about when they get up and go to the bathroom during the middle of an inning? Don't you just hate that?

8. 93Devil

I waited until the inning ended. Shit, for them, I didn't care when they went.

9. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Narrow seats? Chalk up another point in favor of sitting in the bleachers.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm at U.S. Cellular today for the 1 p.m. game against the A's.

I couldn't care less about either team, but it's a beautiful day and tickets were cheap.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'm coming with you.

And also ... "History of Baseball?" Really?

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Look, Wrigley is gorgeous to sit in. It's also falling apart and everything about the experience of going to a game there outside of sitting in your seat is abysmal. It will need to be replaced sooner than later.

Draft saved Draft deleted