1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrigley Field for the first time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jun 3, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A handful of friends and myself had a small reunion in Chicago this past weekend, and I cannot tell you how impressed I am with the city. I told my wife, when our child and hopefully next child are in the 10-12 years old range, we are taking a family vacation to this big city. What a place.

The weather was beautiful when we stayed close to the Navy Pier, so I am sure that is giving a stronger opinion, but so much impressed me. From the clean streets, to the beautiful buildings, to the safe feeling you have walking around, I was easily forming a city-crush.

On Saturday afternoon, we headed up to see the Cubs and the Dodgers for a 3:30 game. We arrived around noon to enjoy some of the local pubs. I am from Pittsburgh with an extended stint in Arizona, another friend is from Norman and the third is a New Yorker. We all agreed the Cubs game was the best gameday environment (sans football) that we had every seen.

We also noticed that we had never seen more hot women at a sporting event than at a Cubs home game, and it is not even close.

After the game, we headed up for a German street festival that had 15,000 people crammed into a city block for beer, pretzels and sausage. I was amazed that this was just a normal event. There were five others just like this on that side of town. Amazing.

Once again, hot women, friendly people and good times. That pretty much sums up Chicago in June.

2. You're on drugs, dude. Chicago sucks in the summer. (/cross thread)

:)

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Going 2 mph on the Tollway . . . ah, that's livin'.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

a lifelong Cubs fan, had my first Wrigley experience July before last. I'll echo what you said. Great, great time. Phenomenal atmosphere. It was really the first baseball game I've ever been to that reminded me of a football game in the south -- the people in the stands hung on every pitch.

It didn't hurt that they were playing the Brewers in the middle of a division race, so there was a sort of Texas-OU vibe going on in the stands as well. And it didn't hurt that the Cubs rallied from six runs down to win on a two-out home run in the ninth from Aramis Ramirez.

A good 20 minutes after Rami had finished rounding the bases, the place was still going nuts. Never seen anything like it.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Wrigley is one of my most memorable sports venue experiences.

When I was there I made sure to get my Sammy Sosa corked bat shirt and some Old Style beer.

I also went to the sporting goods store across the street and asked for a Don Baylor jersey. The guy laughed at me and said he would have it for me if I came back in a year. A year later, I went back to see the Cubs play the Braves and the guy didn't have a Don Baylor jersey for me. He claimed he didn't remember. Which is a good thing. I don't think I would wear a Don Baylor jersey.

6. 93Devil

My buddy from NYC is still laughing at the "Pujols mows my lawn" shirt he saw being sold.

7. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Was June 29, 2007, actually. Day before my wedding. :)

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've seen the same for Zambrano in St. Louis. Kinda offensive, if you ask me.

9. 93Devil

Oh yes.

He could not believe it could be worn without someone taking a swing at you.

Which actually brings to mind the other thing a Cubs game had more of than any other sporting event I have ever attended.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Holy crap. Yes it was. I mean, I know that was the date. I don't know anything at all about your wedding.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Nothing like Chicago and Wrigley in good weather. Pretty much impossible not to have a good time.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Sunday's game was my first trip to Wrigley and I was pretty blown away. I'm still on vacation here in Chicago and I love this city more each time I visit.

Draft saved Draft deleted