1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wright Thompson's finest work ever

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jack_Kerouac, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

As I posted earlier ... I grew up watching Southern football, and I'm paid to write about Southern football. A big part of me rolls my eyes at much of it, is offended by some of it and wishes it had less importance in the grand scheme of things down here.

Yet, there is much of it I enjoy. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Aren't Red Sox fans fanatical, even about something so essentially meaningless, yet Massachusetts somehow survives, if barely, as a viable state?

Oh, and thanks, IJAG.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Dennis Dodd had a good three-part series last week on the SEC on the Web site formerly known as CBS SportsLine.com. I dare say critics of Wright's piece (and that genre) would find it fresher and more engaging.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Yeah, Auburn might lose. Every other SEC team that was supposed to win did so.

Tennessee's going to finish third or fourth in the SEC East. Cal's going to win the Pac-10.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

to well?

9-1, with the only loss coming on the road to a higher-ranked team?

sounds decent too me

just saying

5. I Like HD

I Like HD Member

I don't really see all the SEC outrage about this topic.

Yes, die-hard SEC fans can love this piece, and every other 100 stories that come with it.

But the rest of us don't like it. It's cliche.

After some time passes, Wright Thompson can go cover Odessa Permian for a year and write a book about it. Some people will love it. Most of us will say it sucks because it's already been done.

That's just the way it is. Even if something is written to excellent standards, if it's just a copy of other stories that ain't no good.

Thompson is an outstanding writer. One of the very best around. But I don't want to read this garbage.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

JD - agree on Dodd series- 21st century look at the SEC. This paragraph from Dodd piece says it all:

"The league is nothing if not colorfully painted with equal parts bubba, humidity, grits, frat boys and dreadlocks sticking out of the back of helmets. In the old days, SEC fans got their news from play-by-play radio icons such as Larry Munson at Georgia, John Ward at Tennessee and Jack Cristil at Mississippi State. "

7. Johnny Dangerously

My first post on this thread was largely a response to the fact that every time someone writes one of these stories, it seems someone links to it here, and we get the obligatory "I don't want to read these kinds of stories" posts. My bottom line: Don't, then. A lot of other people will. Both sides can be happy.

-- 30 --​

8. Johnny Dangerously

Boom,

Do you plan to read "It Never Rains in Tiger Stadium" by John Ed Bradley? I know you seem to enjoy when former players write from their perspective. All of the excerpts I've seen are compelling. I think you'd like it.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I haven't read too much of Wright's stuff. I'm from the Midwest, but still enjoyed this story. I've never been to a game in the SEC, but reading these types of stories makes me want to get to a game to see how SEC games are different from the Big 12 and Big 10 games I've been to. Anyone on here get an invite to party? Will there be a follow to let us know how all the planning worked out?

"We sit inside and make plans, too. My alma mater, Missouri, is coming to Oxford this September (don't tell anyone, but I'm pulling for the Rebels). I've invited all my friends. We've rented an extra house, planned a big party, with a bartender and hot tamales. Planning for the weekend has consumed our summer. We're far from alone. Most every big decision made below the Mason-Dixon Line is made with the distant season in mind."

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Is that what you want your stock in trade to be: Congratulatory paeans to your readers, with the yearly revelation that gee, y'all love your football in many colorful ways? Sure, there's a part of your readership that would like nothing but. But that part of the readership has left newspapers for message boards.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

JD - I was not aware he had a book out . I love his work. It goes to top of my must read list. Thanks .

12. Johnny Dangerously

You're welcome, Boom. He had a book signing here today. I didn't get there in time, or I would have surprised you with an autographed copy.

dools, one story a year (one out of 365 days a year) is suddenly "a stock in trade?" That's about the third time on this thread you've overstated things to the nth degree. For the record, to address one of your others, let me say I'm not advocating adding Hilton or Lohan to our coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted