1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wright Thompson's finest work ever

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jack_Kerouac, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had trouble getting through it...

It's nowhere close to his best work... How anyone could put this work in the same class as his Father's Day story is beyond me.

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I'm just curious if you could elaborate on this. I've covered quite a few Division III games. Outside of Mount Union and the Battle for the Monon Bell, I don't really know of anything like that in D3. I was just curious.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I guess I was thinking more of generalities; small schools in small towns that are lucky to get 2,000 people at the game, but they tailgate rain or shine because of their loyalty to a small school.
    Old, small cool looking stadiums kinda thing.
    When I went to college, a mid-major D1, there was a D3 school next door. And within a driver/3-wood of the bigger stadium was the D3's stadium -- set into a hillside, wrought iron fence around it with brick/ivy covered pillars... probably never more than 3,000 people went to their games. But they tailgated and always seemed to get into the spirit of it more
    A whole lot of little things that add up to more than the sum of the parts, as opposed to some (emphasis on some) rituals at larger schools that have become less ritual and more hype.
    Make sense?

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I enjoyed the piece, because it resonated with me as a southern football fan. If you take this as an ode, which it is, it is enjoyable. Odes generally do not hit at the underbelly of things, however.

5. I think what you're getting at is it's less commercialized.

6. Of my 10 favorite college football experiences, two of them are a Furman-Ga. Southern game I saw in Greenville a while back, and Steve McNair's last home game at Alcorn.
    And the food at the various Alcorn tailgates was dazzling.

7. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I liked it...but I'm an SEC fanboy loooser

8. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Bravo, Slap

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

mmmmmmm, sweet tea

10. I Like HD

I Like HD Member

I gave up after the first section.

This was certainly not Wright's best work. I can see how die-hard SEC fans would eat it up, but this topic has been done so many times it was tough to appreciate.

Yea, I get it. People in the SEC like football, beer and fattening foods. But so do Big 12, Big 10 and Pac 10 fans. This topic isn't worth 25 national stories a year.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Haven't read the story, but yeah this concept seems to gain steam every year. Sports radio puts fuel on the fire with endless discussions on which conference is better.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Read like a book proposal.

Draft saved Draft deleted