1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wright Thompson!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Mar 19, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I liked it, but I did skim through a few of the longer parts.

2. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Read every word. Great story.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Great read. I had read a quick wire story on Mink a few months ago, but didn't dive deeper into the topic. He seems like a really odd dude, but he makes for a great story, especially with so many questions out there about his stories and resume.

I had no problem with the length. Having so many segments didn't make it seem as long.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Good God that's long.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I do praise Wright for plunging into the labyrinth this guy apparently is and proving he's painfully human like the rest of us. The story would have at least been a bit better without Wright giving a play by play of his own angst, however.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I can honestly say I didn't read the whole article. The first 15 or 20 inches set up the story well.

I've known Wright since his days at the Times-Picayune.

Great writer. Good dude.

That's all I've got.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I consider Wright a friend, although we don't see each other much these days. We shared a press box during his Times-Picayune days, and we ate dinner together just before he left Baton Rouge for KC. My "I knew Wright Thompson when" story is what he said during a moment of silence before a football game: "Dear Lord, please don't let Johnny write a better gamer than me."

The reason I'm chuckling right now is I just remembered his response to a mass e-mail I sent to friends and colleagues last year before the launch of my blog. He wrote -- and I think he hit Reply to All -- something about whether or not there was enough bandwidth on the Internet, seeing as how he remembered me as someone who wrote long.

::)

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He said you wrote long? Wow. That's ballsy.

9. Ha! I'm guessing those of you thinking Wright wrote too long on this one didn't partake in his effort last month: 15,000 words.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=mississippi62

Also, Waylon, great point about using first person.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

If it's good, I don't give a damn about the word count.

11. Agree with you 100 percent, pseudo. I just thought it was rather funny Wright was getting some criticism for story length when last month he'd written one twice as long without hearing a peep from around here.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But longer doesn't necessarily mean better. It can mean not as focused as it could be. This solid story could have been a better, tighter read without the truly irrelevant aspect of how the reporter felt. Dammit, just tell us the wacky stuff you found. I don't wanna know how the sausage gets made. Just make it, already.

Draft saved Draft deleted