1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wright Thompson, you magnificent bastard

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Feb 15, 2013.

1. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I enjoyed the Espn story too. Shows what access can do.

SI story isn't bad but if you can only read one, it's Espn's version.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Meh. It's OK. :)
    Haven't read it yet. But look forward to it when I have the time.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I liked it. Thought he could've gotten more into the private life of Jordan. Would've been great if he'd gotten Jordan to talk more about his family and about the changes he's made and whether it was worth it. The one question that I felt wasn't answered was if he is happy. I can tell that he's happy with his new love and trying to simplify his life but is he truly happy and what would it take to make him that way? Otherwise, it was a good clean read.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wait till his new love starts complaining about his cigars around the house.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I thought this was very well done. And Drip, I think the point is that he is TRYING to be happy, but he doesn't know how without basketball and the competitive release it provided. It is a work in progress, but he is happier with his new love, and he is trying to take small steps.

6. Agreed. Seemed one of the main themes of the story is that happiness is really a minute to minute proposition for Jordan.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I read it again and really came away with several other unanswered questions. Jordan took and continues to take hits from the Black community saying that he hasn't used his status to promote Black causes. I'd like to know his feelings on that subject. Also would like to know his views on being a father. He's 50 and I'm sure he has some opinions on it. He didn't talk much about his legacy as an athlete and as a person, I think many would've loved to read what he actually thinks on that as well.
    Wright could've gone many different ways with this and he did a good job, no question about it. He left you wanting to know more after you finished reading the last word. That, my friend, is the mark of a good writer.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A long-form magazine piece is not an authorized biography. It's a testament to how interesting Jordan is that he could support 2-3 additional articles exploring angles not present here. And also, Thompson likely squeezed out all he could from the time he had. If he spends more time at the beginning asking why his player personnel decisions suck, good luck getting any of the red meat on display here.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

So you made two completely different posts (one of course deleted) about the same article on the same thread? You're a weird dude.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Just read it for the third time.

Really excellent piece, a great use of access. Maybe could've done without the part about how the young lady is changing him, since that's so standard for these types of pieces and it's difficult to believe.

I don't get how anyone couldn't have adored this piece. Sonner, you really need to read it again and have a better answer next time, or I shall call into question your judgment and your skills as a journalist.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

From Wright's interview on ESPN, I gather that he came off more like a fanboi finally getting an opportunity to interview his hero than a journalist trying to write an autobiography. Again, there's nothing wrong with his piece. It's great work and if I come away wanting more, then that means he did a great job of spinning a tale.

12. tmr

tmr Member

I might be wrong, but I think he'll take questions from SI writers in a scrum, and obviously let them in his midst, but not do a one-on-one with SI, which is of course how they get the majority of their quotes.

Draft saved Draft deleted