1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wright Thompson, you magnificent bastard

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought it was funny that Jordan drinks Merlot. I was reminded of the Paul Giamatti line from Sideways: "“if anyone orders merlot, I’m leaving. I am not drinking any fucking merlot!”

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

FWIW, I know a lot of people hate 1st person accounts from reporters, e.g., the Bronstein/Shooter story, but it's equally distracting to me when Thompson writes about a question that has been put to Jordan and the quote ends with "he's asked."

Is there really any harm in writing, "I asked him"?

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. Decent. I didn't hate it. It didn't suck. But I didn't love it either. It wasn't "beautiful." It wasn't "brilliant," which is how I saw it described roughly 300 times today. And it certainly didn't go "the distance," whatever that means.

It was a story that let me know Wright Thompson somehow gained incredible access to someone who never grants it. Oh, and I found out that Jordan once lost two of his championship rings. For a while anyway. Until he found them.

I'm amazed, alright. Not by the story, that he was able to write it. I'd really like to know how he pulled that off.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Hater.

5. JackReacher

Hell, if Jordan hadn't played in Washington, D.C. for a couple years, I wouldn't even know who he was.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's no Oral History of The Junkies, I guess. Then you know it would have caused a Sonner Boner.

7. JackReacher

You'd better be careful. I'll unfollow you on Twitter!!!!

8. JackReacher

Actually, it was a lil bit hurrrrrrrrrrting.

9. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

LeBron went 13-for-14 in his last game against the Bobcats, so he apparently hasn't told them.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

One of the best athlete profiles I've read in a long time. Excellent.

11. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Durant was guarding him like this in Thursday's matchup.

Draft saved Draft deleted