1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wright Thompson, you magnificent bastard

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Michael Jordan doesn't give access to many people. He gave it to Wright Thompson. And Thompson didn't waste it.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/Michael-Jordan/michael-jordan-not-left-building

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think it's the best thing he's ever written.

Uncle's headline is going to invite some trolling, but seriously do give this a read.

No first person, it's written with subtly and restraint, and reveals a lot about the man.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good story, stupid layout by ESPN.

I don't need the copy broken up by a giant Jordan logo or photo.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm not the biggest Thompson fan, but gave in after this was the third recommendation I saw for the article this morning. That was really good. It was long, yes, but I didn't feel like any of the sections were wasted. They all worked together to create a collage of Jordan's personality.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Nothing untoward intended on my part. I'm a legitimate Thompson fan.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I saw about 73463532634 tweets promoting this piece in the span of about 3 minutes this morning. Guess I should read it.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Considering how much has been written about Jordan, to do a piece this revealing about Jordan is not an easy task.

I don't think Thompson has ever profiled Jordan before, which is why I'm a little surprised Jordan granted him the access he did... Jordan was legendary for only trusting a handful of writers during his career, writers who spent years washing his balls to get that kind of trust and access...

I've always been a huge Thompson fan, but I've hated the first person stuff that he was doing a lot.

This is Thompson at his absolute best.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

"Could LeBron be successful in our era? Yes. Would he be as successful? No."

EDIT: I think that quote is laughable, btw. But I think it gives you great insight into Jordan's view of himself.

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

I really didn't want to read this. I've long thought Jordan was a reprehensible person and I didn't want another Thompson ode to ghosts/tradition/bourbon/pappy.

Very glad I caved in. I was interested in - and somewhat empathized with - the Jordan in the piece. What I found most remarkable is that he actually seems to care about the Bobcats. This, of course, means that this could be the first basketball-related endeavor at which he has tried and failed to win. He may not be so much disengaged as he is out of his depth.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That was a tremendous read about a person that I didn't think would ever be interesting again now that his one purpose in life is gone.

Also, this:

When LeBron goes right, he usually drives; when he goes left, he usually shoots a jumper. It has to do with his mechanics and how he loads the ball for release. "So if I have to guard him," Jordan says, "I'm gonna push him left so nine times out of 10, he's gonna shoot a jump shot. If he goes right, he's going to the hole and I can't stop him. So I ain't letting him go right."

I would like to know if that's new info or if the league is already working with that scouting report too. It's certainly worth a try for anyone playing LeBron in the near future.

11. Mizzougrad96

He's pretty clearly not a LeBron fan, which probably translates into either LeBron not showing Jordan (what Jordan would consider) proper respect, or the handful of people who have made comments that LeBron is a better player than Jordan was.

12. Mizzougrad96

Did Jordan talk to SI at all for this week's issue? I don't think he did.

I know the story about him as an owner had a "said recently" and a "told the Charlotte Observer"

Draft saved Draft deleted