1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wright Thompson: outta the park, through the uprights, slam dunk, et al

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But the definition of 'longform' has been changed as well.

Bill Simmons - arguably the most popular writer on the internet - writes columns routinely in excess of 5000 words.

And has he ever written anything that was not first person?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm a fan of both of them, but please don't ever compare Bill Simmons to Wright Thompson again. :D

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Right, but people read Simmons because they like Simmons. He's the story, you know that going in.

It doesn't work across the board.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm saying that whatever we thought the "rules" were aren't the rules any more. I'm saying that Twitter succeeds 140 characters at a time, and yet people will read 20,000 words a week from Simmons. I'm saying that the internet is largely about obsessives providing content for other obsessives.

I'm saying adapt or die.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can he write anything less than "The Arms of Krupp?" Ever? Jesus fuck, talk about someone in love with his own writing.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I bet Ragu hates the 140 character at Twitter.

As far as Simmons when I read his work I tend to skim. I bet most do.

7. Mizzougrad96

I cherish every last word. I like his writing more now that I sometimes listen to his podcast and you realize that he isn't as pompous as his writing sometimes makes him seem. Anybody who is friends with Carolla and Kimmel can't be all bad.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Simmons book sale numbers argue that people actually read him.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Books sold do not necessarily equal books read. See U.S. Presidential memoirs for evidence.

10. Mizzougrad96

So I'm one of those crazy people who actually reads every book I buy? :D

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Good thread that poses compelling, necessary questions. People with something to add to the discussion are for the most part staying away from the kinds of shots that usually make me stop reading, and that makes ir more enjoyable (and more professional).

I felt the chill of my first Pacific Northwest winter. George Winston's "December" was on the CD player.

"Good thread," I posted.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not sure if they read the books or not, M. G.

But to spend $30 on a book by someone from whom you're already getting 20000 words a week for free - on top of the 4 podcasts - says to me they aren't skimming the columns.

Again, obsessives providing content to other obsessives.

Draft saved Draft deleted