1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wright Thompson on Urban Meyer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Aug 8, 2012.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Thompson wrote about Miles juggling football and family last year. Maybe Miles does it better than Meyer. At some point, though, wouldn't it make sense to write a more substantial piece actually connecting the stories about the pressures these coaches--and many other successful people--face rather than writing isolated profiles looking at each through the same lens? Again, maybe I'm cold-hearted, but it is somewhat irrelevant to me whether any given coach is a "good" or "bad" parent (especially since I'm skeptical about whether profiling someone like this can actually reveal it). Instead, I care more about what this says about society and its relation to sports, family, and work (which these profiles reveal only a sliver of). Thompson possesses considerable writing and reporting talent, and crafts beautiful, descriptive stories. But I'm not sure journalistic resources are best devoted to trotting out profile after profile like this. (But, of course, as I've probably demonstrated on many other threads, I have a different view of the goals of journalism than most people, I think).

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=111103/LesMiles

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Results are different, but the story is the same. He grew up with a hard-ass father. He works hard. He struggles to deal with his family. The only thing that differentiated Meyer as far as the story goes is the results, and we never really learn why. And, without context, we won't.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Just finished reading this.

What an excellent piece.

4. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

only issue i had was questioning whether meyer was pretending to be a good father because there was a reporter in the car and if wright should've been more skeptical about that.

yes, every coach's story i'm sure contains the same elements of ignoring family/ working too much, but meyer certainly has taken it to an extreme (as evidenced by his championships and brief stops as a head coach)

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Too long and slow paced.

6. Lanky

Lanky New Member

From the story: "As a 22-year-old graduate assistant for the Buckeyes, right up the road from his hometown of Ashtabula, Ohio ..."

It's 200 miles. Lake Erie is up the road from Ashtabula. Nitpicking, I know, but it's such a simple detail.

7. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Pacing can't be taught, or fixed with the right amount of editing.
    You either have a feel for it or don't.
    This is a common impediment in Thompson pieces.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I have not even got to Meyer story yet, but in general that is a great issue of ESPN. Good story from Rick Bragg ( I wondered what became of him) on the SEC and southern football. Many would say the genre is overdone but I guess I'm a sucker for them. No mention of train whistles though. All southern stories should make mention of distant train whistles.

Also a very insightful story by Kevin Van Valkenburg on "Honey Bear".

9. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Mrs. Meyer, and deservedly so, still seems a bit skeptical about how her husband will be once the season starts.

Hope he can find some balance this time.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, she knows better. You can't change those guys.

11. Boom_70

Just finished the Meyer story. Really liked it. Please help with one item.
    Towards the end of story when Meyer is having a team meeting and gets angry at a player who is laughing. Meyer screams "Giggle- f---s" ( as written by Wright) For the life of me I can figure what "f--- s" stands for.

12. Boom_70

Driving me nuts. Anybody?

"Giggle- f---s" ( as written by Wright) For the life of me I can figure what "f--- s" stands for

Draft saved Draft deleted