1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wright Thompson on the Cubs winning it all

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by MeanGreenATO, Nov 4, 2016.

1. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Member

Twitter exploded on Thursday when Wright wrote his piece after the Cubs won it all. It's really good and worth discussing regarding the logistics of what all went into a piece that was published around noon on Thursday. It's been widely praised by those on social media and I believe Wright was briefly trending on Twitter. Thoughts?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ans-celebrate-game-7-victory-mourn-missed-out

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

One of the best pieces I've read this year, to be sure. Room got very dusty as I read it.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm really excited to read this. I'm hoping to get to it this weekend.

Chuck Culpepper's story on a few longtime Cubs fans who died just before this year's World Series is also worth a read. Chuck Culpepper is so goddamn good at what he does. Just a tremendous piece.

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Member

Chuck's also a great guy, too. One of my buddies in the business says some of the best writers are also good people, which seems generally true.

I really enjoyed this and the characters he found throughout the story, and I really think that worked. I don't know how Wright does it, but his stuff never seems overwritten, which is generally a common gripe of longform copy.

Draft saved Draft deleted