1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wright Thompson on the Auburn tree poisoner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, May 23, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Because when that first base coach got jumped from behind by a pair of opposing fans ... that was in the South, too, right?

How about when that opposing fan got beaten into a coma in the parking lot after a win? Where was that, Houston?

And when Cliff Lee's wife was spit on ... that was in Atlanta, wasn't it?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Do you live in LA instead of the South?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I knew it wouldn't take long for someone from the south to totally miss the snark and sarcasm. As silly as I think the whole story has become, it's even sillier than someone would think it would be the ultimate "eff you" to another team's fanbase.

And yes, I'm well aware that idiot fans aren't merely indiginous to the south. Eesh.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Backtracking 101: Get called out for talking out of your ass, and then insist you were just joking.

5. Flying Headbutt

Yeahhhhhhhhh. Or that could not be it at all.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Christ. It couldn't have been easier to detect his sarcasm.

Shocker that some missed it.

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

For those upset by this, try reading it with the implied "like we do" at the end. Hear the change in tone?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I worked in the South. After I took the job, a co-worker who had worked in the area where I was going asked me, "What's the most passionate fanbase you've been around?" I said probably Nebraska. He said, "OK, take the craziest Nebraska fan you've ever seen, multiply that by 1,000 and make him as mean as can be. Then you have your average SEC fan."

I thought he was crazy and then as soon as I got there, I realized he was 100 percent right.

9. Flying Headbutt

Hmmm, let me see:

The premise still seems just as absurd to me. But Philly fans are excited about the implication that maybe it's not so bad now.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It was in the SEC where fans poured urine on a coach's wife.

Most of the writers I've known who have gotten death threats got them when they covered the SEC.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Steak, I think you missed this one. I got what Headbutt was doing. Southern boy that I am (was?), I still didn't see anything but a wink in his post. No harm, no foul.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

While we're telling stories of idiot Bama-Auburn fans, a buddy of mine who covered the Iron Bowl was driving through a parking lot at one of the stadiums. Can't remember which one. Anyway, he watched as a vehicle decked out in one team's decorations was pelted by beer bottles from the opposing fan base. Auburn. Alabama. Can't remember which was which. Doesn't really matter.

Draft saved Draft deleted