1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wright Thompson on the Auburn tree poisoner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, May 23, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Interesting read, and an interesting passage here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?id=6575499

This is not germane to the story, but I presume the catfish place they met was Mittendorf's, which is awesome.

2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Seriously, boo-fucking-hoo.

That guy needs a Spike 80 enema to be administered in a prison yard full of All-Barn lifers who haven't seen the proverbial sunshine since Tiny Terry coached 'em all down.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's what happens when you give credence and appreciable exposure on multiple major outlets to mouth-breathing yahoo-calibre fans.

And we all know who's guilty.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Amen to that. There is great shark-jumping at work here.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Do you have a problem with the guy or a problem with the story or both?

I thought the story was fine.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm no Auburn fan, but that has nothing to do with this. What this guy did was way, 'WAY over the line . . . and not much of this calibre of base vandalism happened years ago, because the amps weren't turned up so high, at that point in time.

7. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

What other things have happened recently? A lot of the spike in things like this are more perceived than reality. They are getting national press now whereas before they didn't. Big story, not saying it should be getting this press. It's just that in the last 10-15 years we have developed a national sports news cycle that covers more stuff like this.

As for the guy, I find it hard to believe a longtime police officer didn't know poisoning private property, especially famous private property, would be a felony. Pretty sure he knows the law. Then again he was an officer in Texas and everything is different there.

8. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I liked the story a bunch. I thought Wright did a good job of writing smartly but keeping himself out of the story.

9. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

I saw what you posted and figured, "Well this I have to see." Clicked on the link and, lo and behold, a first-person reference right in the lede.

10. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I am an Auburn fan, and I'm not going to read the story just because it gives attention to that idiot once again.

I'm sure it's great because Wright Thompson is an SportsJournalists.com-approved f-ing stud. But I just can't read about that guy without wanting to punch the computer table in front of me.

I'm sure great stories have been written about why Westboro Baptist Church does what it does. But I don't read those either.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

But, they're just TREES!!!!

/ducking

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This is why all of us who don't live in the south think so many (but not all) of you are yahoos.

Whatever happened to just getting pissed off when you see a fan of another team and just punching them in the face instead?

Draft saved Draft deleted