1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wright Thompson on McGwire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Dec 13, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It said that those "hometown hero" posters were a lot more prevalent in 1998 or thereabouts than now. So I suspect that his "small presence" at the high school wasn't always the case.

2. This story reminded me of the feature they did on Steve Bartman a couple years back.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=bartman

Similar premise, but I liked the Bartman story a lot more than this one.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

So Thompson did the same chickenshit method he used with the Grbac piece. Incredible.

You can use that ONCE every blue moon.

It would have been more appropriate with the McGwire. only.

Fuckin stud.

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

But the question is: Have YOU ever written anything this good? [/Mizzoustud]

That's what's relevant here!

Also, from now on, Tony LaRussa should never be allowed to change his lineup. Or even pick out his lineup. Because he was a shittier player than the guys in it.

5. I actually liked this piece much better than the Grbac one. The "oh, he's not talking" thing works a lot better with a sports figure of that stature.

I never really did see what made the Grbac piece so spectacular. While it was well-written I don't see how it serves your audience. No matter how much we in the field may love something like that, I think that would make the average reader just shake his head or wonder why he just spent the past several minutes reading only to find the reporter wouldn't talk to the guy.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I agree ... it could have worked with McGwire... except I had seen it wasted already on a nobody.

7. I think it still works here, a) because of the subject and b) you have to wager most of the people who read this didn't read the KC piece where Thompson essentially did the exact same thing.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

When is this guy going to kick off the skirt and challenge someone?

I sense great fear in you, Young Skywalker.

Fear and hate ... and you don't use it.

9. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

The story was interesting and well-written.
    The man won't talk. Face it.
    But this is an example of an instance when a story can still be done on him.

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

No comparison between this and the Grbac piece.

He wimped out on Grbac, plain and simple. Tried to write his way out of it.

In this case, it's a good approach to a McGwire story. He can't make McGwire talk.

I thought the Grbac piece was garbage. This one is interesting.

11. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

What was the Grbac piece about? Anyone have a link for it?

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Was the Grbac story really a big deal, other than we inexplicably talked about it here for two months?

Seems Thompson has written once or twice since then, why are we still talking about it? It's not exactly groundbreaking to write about someone who doesn't want to be interviewed...what's the fuss here?

Draft saved Draft deleted