1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wright Thompson on Jack Nicklaus

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, May 29, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

in honor of that piece's author, it had best be a long and winding parkway, laden with fluffy, flowery trees that ooze sap...

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Every editor I've ever worked for has said "If you get good access, flaunt it." He definitely did that. It always nauseates me when SI or ESPN guys can get this close to guys, but that's reality...

Good article.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know...it reads like we're supposed to feel bad about The Bear growing old, while he tools around in a Lexus and a private jet?

4. Mizzougrad96

It really has more to do with ESPN flaunting the access than it adds to the story...

Don't get me wrong, if I got that access I'd be flaunting it too.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean it's always right, or makes the piece better. I couldn't help thinking that Jack simply didn't have a lot to say.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It might work with the fact that Jack was almost broke twice in the past 30 years, and now he has brought himself back to a secure future.

Of course, probing into the financial problems might have been worth pursuing.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

All you people who rip on Wright Thompson are deskers at 2,000 circ weeklies [/crossthreading].

When it comes to the length, though, I'd love to hear how long that took him to write. That thing was freakin' huge.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One thing I've always wondered about, particularly with Jack and Arnie and Gary Player, was if they ever regretted not taking a bigger stand on issues, particularly black golfers not being allowed to play at The Masters or playing at exclusionary golf clubs. I mean at some point, they had to realize it was wrong and they had enough influence to change things. Right? You'd think their sponsors would want to open up the game and tap into an untapped market.

9. Mizzougrad96

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

To me it was not about what Jack is saying/doing (though there was a lot about building and protecting his legacy) than what he's not saying/doing. Nicklaus playing almost zero golf and hating to reminisce about his past except when he has to? That's pretty unusual.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Now. You know better than that.

I just find his style overwritten plodding fluff..

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Jack was not going to tell Wright anything he hasn't already said a 1,000 other times in a 1,000 other places. You get that kind of access to watch him, pick up details and talk to the 1,000 people in his world, letting them tell you about Jack.

Draft saved Draft deleted